Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP...Oven went kaput

Lori, I have a service manual for it if ya want, a 10 year old stove if in decent shape should get repaired, a newer one isn't gonna be any more efficent to run and a repair charge will be cheaper than replacing it.

PM me your email addy if you want it.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

You could also pull the glow bar off the broiler and put it on the oven, if that fixes it you are 100% sure what the problem is before you order parts. I just did this on a kenmore around the same age.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler mckee View Post
    You could also pull the glow bar off the broiler and put it on the oven
    Tyler,

Good suggestion but before pulling it off the broiler, make sure they both look the same.

I checked a neighbor's 1997 Kenmore and the glow bars were different top and bottom. The actual bar was the same but the mounting bracket was not even close. I just replaced the glow bar assembly and it was fine, albeit damn near 60-bucks for the bar assembly and shipping. Sears make the bucks on repair parts.

Sears wanted 40-bucks plus $22 shipping for the oven element in my Kenmore. Fortunately I found a direct replacement part online for $15+$5 shipping. Guess who got the job?

Out here in the sticks we call neighbors before we call repair men. Usually someone can fix stuff. Pretty much got everything covered.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Sears wanted 40-bucks plus $22 shipping for the oven element in my Kenmore. Fortunately I found a direct replacement part online for $15+$5 shipping. Guess who got the job?
    I think that's the new modus operendi for Sears. They closed all the parts windows in the stores and shut down their parts distribution centers. Now we have to order everything online and shipping is 50% of the purchase price. Sears raked me over the coals last year when I ordered new burners for my Kenmore gas grill. My local Sears store actually carried replacement burners for non Kenmore grills, but not for Kenmore grills. Grrrrr...

Next time, I'm buying Weber.

Okay, hubby took bottom of oven apart, took out part. I will take this part to appliance store tomorrow for replacement.
    Will update after oven is put back together and hopefully working. Keeping fingers crossed.
    Lori K

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    My local Sears store actually carried replacement burners for non Kenmore grills, but not for Kenmore grills. Grrrrr...
    Wow, man that is CRUEL.

I just dug out the receipt for the oven element that saved me $42. It was with http://www.RepairClinic.com

They will get first look-in for all of my appliance repair stuff in the future.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Success, the oven is working. I don't know how to thank you guys. It took hubby 15 minutes to pull out the old part and 15 minutes to put the new part in. The cost difference, Sears wanted $130 something to come out and look + parts cost to fix. I paid about $80 for the part.
    For future reference, all GE stoves take the same igniter.
    Again, I want to say THANK YOU
    Lori K

Good return

on a $6 investment, huh?