Thread: Wrap around face shield

Wrap around face shield

There are times when a wrap around face shield is the right choice of face protection in the shop and/or outside. The one I have now is relatively cheap, multiple years old, has "seen it's day" and the plastic wrap around is so scratched that while I was doing some ceiling drywall sanding, I really couldn't see well enough to tell if I was doing a good job. This shield is "replaceable" but the local BORG doesn't have this model or brand any more. It's worked sort of OK, certainly keeps stray debris out of my face. When you want it to stay up to view what you're doing better, it will stay up reasonably well, but falls down sometimes when I don't want it to. Do you guys/gals have a preference for a particular brand, type, replaceable, non-replaceable (just buy a cheap new one every 5yrs)??? Thanks for any input, comments.

I wear a STIHL mesh face shield with hearing protection. Bought it at the local STIHL dealer.

Very comfortable to wear, stays up, and the hearing protection doesn't interfere with my hearing aids or become too hot in the summer. IIRC, it was right around $45.00 about 2 years ago??.

Opted for the wire mesh type because it doesn't fog up, chip, or scratch. Previously, I wore a plastic shield unit that I purchased at a shop specializing in industrial safety items. It stayed in place, but the adjustable head band was a bit heavy not that all comfortable to wear for extended periods. And before that, I had a few of the more economical face shields which just didn't seem to hold up and were bargain priced for a reason.

Might be an idea to call a local or stop @ the local optometrist, explain what you want, and solicit recommendation as to a nearby shop. Or consult the Yellow Pages for "safety equipment".

I bought a cheap plastic faceshield for turning and it works well. It's already paid for itself when I had a piece get loose and before I knew it I was wondering what hit my shield. It works quite well for what I paid for it.

I could see how the plastic on an older shield would degrade and crack, so I would think it's got a limited lifespan. And of course if it gets too scratched it will be tough to see through. I'd vote to replace it when it needs to.

I use a UVEX Bionic face shield for metalworking, but it has been finding its way into my woodshop fairly often as well.

5. This is going to sound weird but I use an MSA gas mask sans the filter cartridge. I had the same problem with the face shields getting scratched or letting stuff in at the sides and bottom especially when sandblasting. The lenses are replaceable and meant to take abuse. Its actually way more comfortable than the face shield because nothing gets in and it never fogs up. You just look weird wearing it, but then I've heard that not wearing it too. I'd imagine you could probably find one at a military surplus store fairly easily.

I have one from HD that has stood up pretty well for the $'s I mainly use it when spraying cabinet interiors to prevent overspray getting on my glasses and face. I usually cover it with plastic wrap before I start spraying then simply peel it off when I am done.
    IMHO 5 years is a pretty good lifespan. The way I batter tools around my shop mine are too scratched up after about 1 year to see clearly or for me too spend big $'s on a high end sheild.

+1 on the Uvex Bionic, great shield and head strap mechanism, very reasonable price at around 30 dollars.

Welding supply shops carry them for grinding operations.

Apparently they are sold in a modular system:
    Headgear, visor, and faceshield. Total of around $20. I didn't verify that these three worked together. The vendor I linked to is one I've used before--and in fact they are a division of the same company that delivers our propane. But I'd just look in the phone book and give stop in a place.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/1242...nti-fog-Window

+2 on the Uvex - Comfortable and I find myself grabbing it when on the table saw and drill press
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!