Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limitations to consider for a cold woodshop?

Limitations to consider for a cold woodshop?

Hello, I'm trying to find some information about working in a cold woodshop for the winter months. I'm in Ontario Canada so yeah it gets fairly cold in the winter. My shop does have a wood stove in it but I doubt it is enough to keep it heated when not consistently tended.

I have been a home builder by trade for the last 10 years and am finally taking the plunge and beginning my own business. I have an outdoor garage that is 15' wide, 25' long and 10' high to use as my shop. Its not the largest shop in the world, but I can make it work. I will mostly be working on site but I am going to use the shop a great deal and am wondering what challenges I need to be aware of when a shop gets cold and hot all the time. I will be wanting to build cabinets and built-ins for clients on a small scale. Most likely no full size kitchens with this setup for the most part, especially in winter. I think my main concerns are wood acclimatizing, glue-ups, finishing etc?? I have the option to use my basement as a shop but the ceilings are only 7.5' high and with the current location of the entrance to the basement, getting material and cabinets in and out would be tedious.

I currently do not have a lot of money to buy a furnace. The whole garage is insulated with R10 between the 2x4 studs and R20 in the ceiling. The garage door is a weak point that I will have to replace. Any help pointing out problems I may encounter and also any techniques to deal with these problems would be appreciated.

Peter

My shop is in a one-car garage. It had no insulation (bare stud walls) and no heat. This winter, I installed an Enviro "Mini" pellet stove and insulated the walls and ceiling with fiberglass batts. The difference is incredible! The pellet stove was not cheap, but I don't have to tend it all the time. It goes through about a bag of pellets every 24 hours on the coldest days of winter.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rausch View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to find some information about working in a cold woodshop for the winter months. I'm in Ontario Canada so yeah it gets fairly cold in the winter. My shop does have a wood stove in it but I doubt it is enough to keep it heated when not consistently tended.

I have been a home builder by trade for the last 10 years and am finally taking the plunge and beginning my own business. I have an outdoor garage that is 15' wide, 25' long and 10' high to use as my shop. Its not the largest shop in the world, but I can make it work. I will mostly be working on site but I am going to use the shop a great deal and am wondering what challenges I need to be aware of when a shop gets cold and hot all the time. I will be wanting to build cabinets and built-ins for clients on a small scale. Most likely no full size kitchens with this setup for the most part, especially in winter. I think my main concerns are wood acclimatizing, glue-ups, finishing etc?? I have the option to use my basement as a shop but the ceilings are only 7.5' high and with the current location of the entrance to the basement, getting material and cabinets in and out would be tedious.

I currently do not have a lot of money to buy a furnace. The whole garage is insulated with R10 between the 2x4 studs and R20 in the ceiling. The garage door is a weak point that I will have to replace. Any help pointing out problems I may encounter and also any techniques to deal with these problems would be appreciated.

Peter

I am just now updating the electrical in my garage/shop. I am going with a dedicated meter for the shop, and a 200 amp service. Overkill, but why not. Anyway I am thinking about the wall mounted heat pump units (AC & heating). Anybody have experience with these?

I apologize if this is a hijack, but it is related, and relevant to the OP question.

Blog Entries
    Your biggest concerns will be removing any water based finishes and glues in the winter to keep them from freezing. Frozen glues and finishes aren't good. You may also have condensation problems with your tools such that rust may form more readily than an evenly heated shop. If your shop is fairly air tight the condensation problem should be minimal since you are using a wood stove for heat. Make sure you include a fresh air inlet for the combustion air. The wood heat will keep the air pretty dry in the shop.

Also wood stoves are a great way to take care of your mistakes.......
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think you need to find a way to keep a steady heat in there 24 hours a day. 50 - 60 degrees F. You can then supplement the heat with your woodstove when you are there to tend to it. Keeping an even temp will allow you to store your finishes and lumber keeping an even humidity. Imagine building a cabinet and it goes from warm to cold to warm to cold to warm to cold, etc. during the building process of several days. This will affect the wood and will most likely change the final outcome of the piece. And, being in business for yourself will allow you to be able to just stop into your shop at any given time to mill up something or whip something together without having to warm up the place and get everything up to speed.

Thanks for all the info guys. What about replacing my wood stove with a used pellet stove? I can get an older used pellet stove for a decent price and that would be easier to maintain the temp at about 50. to 55'. Ill just seal up the garage tight, insulate, poly and work on that garage door. Pellet stove a better idea?

Don't forget the floor... I did mine with 3/4 sleepers and 3/4 foam, with 3/4 underlayment over that. Huge difference.

I also find a huge difference when the temp breaks 50F/10C. Temps below that are just not comfortable. My shop drops into the high 40's if left on it's own, from mid to late Dec thru mid March. I have a 'garage' heater (a hydronic Modine) that takes the chill off pdq.

If the shop will be used as part of a business then you need to invest in an adequate heating system so you can work efficently all year long.

Most of the work your going to do in the shop will generate income and if you have to redo work due to glue failures, frozen finishes, etc you will lose money since the costs will come out of your profit.

As for the insulation, stuff R19 in the walls and R30 in the ceiling.

It may seem like a lot of money to make the upgrades but it will pay off in the long run and these will be business expenses also.

Ok you convinced me, Ill make it a priority to get that done. You guys are so right, when its cold, I wont be as efficient at working either. I have a bachelor apartment I need to get done so I can rent it out and then Ill fix up the shop.

Ok, Ill take down the OSB boards on the inside, shim out the 2x4 wall studs and add an extra R10 to the existing R10. Then Ill add another R20 to the ceiling with the R20 currently up there and poly and seal it well. Then Ill put the osb board back up? Hrmmm or maybe not, really depends on funds. What do you guys like for your shop walls? Ill have to find a insulated garage door, and I think Ill go with the 220 heater and keep the wood stove. I think this makes the most sense and is the cheapest way considering everything at the moment to keep the temps at above zero

I need to buy a lot of equipment to do the type of business I want to so funds are short right now. 1st year is always tough even with getting clients and business. Im learning a lot and studying like crazy. Thats my strong point, I can absorb knowledge quickly.

I have been doing all custom homes for the last 5 years as a lead and there comes a day when you feel you could be doing so much more if you didn't have someone telling you what to do all the time. I am going to keep doing custom home renovations but want to also incorporate custom cabinetry, vanities, built ins, shelves, entertainment centers and eventually kitchens etc.
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 03-10-2010 at 6:43 PM. Reason: Remove direct link to website

Pete,

If possible, you may want to consider taking a small business loan so you can get the shop up and running and get the necessary equipment to get started.

The loan may enable you to put in a oil/gas furnace that will be more cost effective than electric since it will be running quite a bit.

The website looks great.

Ill have to find a insulated garage door,
    If funds are tight you can save some money by insulating your current garage door with one of the many DIY options that are out there. For instance, there's a Owens Corning set that sells for about USD70 in the US that can insulate a standard 8' door (I believe HD and Lowes carry it). There are other alternatives that are even cheaper.

It won't look as pretty as a 'real' insualted door, but it should work well. Also, make sure you weather proof around the garage door.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Augusto Orosco; 03-10-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Forgot OP was in Canada

Yes, but find one that will allow you to connect a programmable thermostat.

Also be sure to add a fresh-air intake so you're not using dust & fume-filled shop air for combustion.

Jason

Thanks for all the info guys. What about replacing my wood stove with a used pellet stove? I can get an older used pellet stove for a decent price and that would be easier to maintain the temp at about 50. to 55'. Ill just seal up the garage tight, insulate, poly and work on that garage door. Pellet stove a better idea?

Thanks guys, all great information.

Diagram of my potential shop layout. Perspectives?

http://phicarpentry.ca/Shop.jpg

Everything looks pretty good. 60 amp should be plently for a 1 man shop. To be sure add the amps for the heater, DC and TS. Mine comes to 51 max so my 60 amp breaker is adequate.

My heater is placed where you drill press is from the ceiling. Depending on how tight you get your door you may minimize heat loss and you stove is in that end of the shop. May even out the heat.

You may want to consdier having the lights go accross the shop and adding a few more. Say 5 rows of 2. More light the better.

I'd suggest you reconsider the locations of the compressor, bandsaw, and drill press.

IMHO the compressor can be moved to the corner, so you have more room to access and use the drill press and bandsaw.
    Wood'N'Scout