Thread: Best Source for lumber

Best Source for lumber

I am looking for mahogany, maple and alder in fairly small quantities for my pre-engineering class.
    In my never ending search for something I can use to get the kids interested in engineering while still keeping their attention, I am looking at building a few electric guitars with my more advanced students each year.
    SO I am looking for a good source for the 3 above mentioned woods and any other wood that would work to make the kids some nice guitars with out breaking mine or their budgets.

Not many sources in southern Alabama I have Ford lumber checking for me. Strange no one has any other idea's

Not sure if price or quantity is right for you, but I've ordered several of the "UPS bundles" from Wall Lumber in North Carolina. You get ~ 20 bd ft and the quality has been very good in my experience. I've ordered cherry, hard maple, walnut, QSWO and African mahogany. Here's link to their product page:

http://www.walllumber.com/lum.asp

Blog Entries
    For one of a kind boards for musical instruments (or other projects) check out http://www.gilmerwood.com/

Best source for lumber.....?

TREES!

Sorry, I couldnt help myself.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Where are you in south AL?

There is a Woodcraft in Mobile. I stopped in last time I was down there. They didn't have a huge selection, but better than nothing. If you ever get over to the MS gulf coast, there is a nice lumber yard just of I-10 in Gulfport called Dedeaux (sp?). They carry a nice selection of both domestic and exotics. I've also got a couple of local sources if you are ever up this way.

PM me if you need any other info.

Lee

Hogan's Hardwoods in Santa Rosa Beach (near Destin) is a major distributor and delivers to a large part of the southeast. They will deliver for orders over $300, IIRC.
    Dan