Thread: Mirka vs Norton

Mirka vs Norton

I asked for some opinions on sandpaper a few weeks ago. Been looking into it some more and want to know some opinions on Mirka sanding discs for ROS. I see they also have the "dustless" discs as well. Any better than Norton discs?
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I have heard good things and I doubt they could be worse than Norton. if you are not already looking at the 2sand website they have a great selection. I am partial to the Rhynogrip discs but I would like to try the Abranet (Mirka) dustless system.

I've been using Mirka Gold disks for about two years and am very pleased with the results. I use them on several different ROS sanders with a vacuum attachment and they do a great job and hold up well too. I happily buy more as needed.

I use Mirka, also, and have been satisfied. Doesn't mean I won't try other brands that are reported as good, but for now, I'm satisfied.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mirkas do real well, hold up OK.

What is a dustless system?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I like the Mirka as well. No reason you couldn't try out a pack of each and see how they work for you.

The "dustless" - I thought that was the Festool version?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Mirkas do real well, hold up OK.

What is a dustless system?

http://www.mirka.com/abranet

I used to use Mirka disks and was happy with the quality. I now use 3M 255L disks. They seem to last longer and hold up better since they are film backed

I've got Mirka and Norton in the shop right now. Mirka seems to perform better... i.e. lasts longer, etc.
    fledgling weekend warrior

All of my random orbit sanding is with Mirka discs. I really like the Abranet "dustless" or mesh discs. I couldn't ask for better performance. For the most aggressive grits I use the Mirka Gold discs. I found excellent prices at supergrit dot com for the Abranet and decent prices at Amazon for the Gold.

-Mike