Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraving Dell Studio Laptop

Question Engraving Dell Studio Laptop

Have a client that wants their new Dell Studio Laptop engraved in two places with very different properties. Setting aside the fact that I have nothing to experiment on, a repair on something this expensive makes me nervous. Although it already has Vista on it, so there isn't much more damage I could really do.

These are at bestbuy if I don't describe it well enough

The first is the outside, which has a painted type finish called "Premium Midnight Blue Finish, not textured, but obviously some kind of coating.

They also want the palm rests done just below the keyboard. It feels plastic with possibly some sort of clear finish. My laser is in my signature and I am just not sure of the settings. Generally I have something similar I have either done or can experiment with. They have seen others that have been done (brought in a photo) so it is not like I can even play the "can't be done on that material" card.

Any ideas?
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

Dave, not having done a laptop, if you remove the battery cover the side that faces inside will be a good place to do a small test.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks Frank.

Yea, I would normally do that however in this case, it is a totally different material. I even contacted Dell to see about at least buying the area around the keyboard but was told "Not a user servicable part.".
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

Whenever I do laptops, I do it very fast and light. Much less than I think I'll need. And then gradually step up the power, until the engraving is clear. Quite often, I'll end up going over it 10+ times; but that's much better than going over it once, but too hard.

If aiming is critical, I cover the area with masking tape and lightly zizz that to make sure that the engraving is going to be in exactly the right place without touching the surface I'm going to be doing.

These 'one chance to get it right' jobs are what engraving is all about.

on my 60watt, I use settings of 35% Pwr, 100% spd for this laptop for both the cover and wrist rests.

Thanks Darren and Dave. It gives me a point to "jump off" from, especially on the unknown outer shell.

Dave I would most certainly err on the side of caution, use only sufficient to get a mark and then do re-runs, you know it's a one way job and can't be undone.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I wouldn't suggest engraving a Dell laptop if it's still on warranty. They are hard enough to deal with on warranty work without having the laser job for them to use as an excuse. I won't go into the details.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    They are hard enough to deal with on warranty work without having the laser job for them to use as an excuse. I won't go into the details.
    You need to remind them of the Magnusson-Moss Act. To wit...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/busi...#Magnuson-Moss
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    I wouldn't suggest engraving a Dell laptop if it's still on warranty. They are hard enough to deal with on warranty work without having the laser job for them to use as an excuse. I won't go into the details.
    A valid point that I did mention to the customer, however see response to next quote.

Actually, and not to get the thread too sidetracked, Dell is one of the few computers I purchase. Their laptops tend to be bullet proof (at least the XPS series) and I have always had good luck with the service department. They made it relatively painless when I my wife got one at a retail outlet with Vista on it and I needed to upgrade it to Windows XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    You need to remind them of the Magnusson-Moss Act. To wit...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/busi...#Magnuson-Moss
    Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view I am very familiar with this and have had to invoke it in my other business (Auto/truck related) on behalf of customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Dave I would most certainly err on the side of caution, use only sufficient to get a mark and then do re-runs, you know it's a one way job and can't be undone.
    My thought at this point is to start it at 100% speed and 10% power being conservative and going up in increments of 5% on power until I start to zero in.

I will post here what I learn. I think it will be a week or two before I actually get it.

if time is not an issue, let me know the model and i'll see what i can get you, i am a dell certified tech so i can order the "unserviceable"

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Hamilton View Post
    if time is not an issue, let me know the model and i'll see what i can get you, i am a dell certified tech so i can order the "unserviceable"
    Good to know and i will put your email on "speed dial". Hopefully in this case, I won't need you.

Thanks for the offer.

dell laptop

Dave, not sure if you have done this yet but here is a pic i have done with one of my laptops.
    speed 100 power 10
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog Helix 24-40 watt Corel Draw X4, Vista 64bit, Photograv 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Muller View Post
    Dave, not sure if you have done this yet but here is a pic i have done with one of my laptops.
    speed 100 power 10
    Dan
    No, I am now waiting for it to come in. It looks more like Dell's standard "hard" finish on yours, but the results should be similar on this one. I will probably start at 5% power to be on the safe side.

Thanks for this pic.