Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Tile horizontal lines

Laser Tile horizontal lines

Hi All
    I am new here and have a question on laser tiles. I get these horizonal lines across the whole length of a 4-1/4 tile. It starts getting better when I slow the speed. I have a 35 watt Epilog TT laser and purchased the Epilog alignment and alignd the laser and it still has the lines. I hope you are able to see it in the photo. I used CorelDraw X4 Photo at 300 dpi (not using PhotoGRAV) and the machine setting is 30S/100P 300 dpi.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum! I can't answer your question, but I'll share my experience on an issue that looked a lot like that.

I had a photo that was a little smaller than I needed at 250 dpi. I resampled it to a different size. It looked good, however, those lines were in it. I tried and tried to get rid of it and couldn't. I went back to the photo I resized and applied a gaussian (sp?) blur to the entire thing. Very small, only a couple of pixels. Engraved it again, the lines were gone.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by JAIME PUJOL View Post
    Hi All
    I am new here and have a question on laser tiles. I get these horizonal lines across the whole length of a 4-1/4 tile. It starts getting better when I slow the speed. I have a 35 watt Epilog TT laser and purchased the Epilog alignment and alignd the laser and it still has the lines. I hope you are able to see it in the photo. I used CorelDraw X4 Photo at 300 dpi (not using PhotoGRAV) and the machine setting is 30S/100P 300 dpi.

Thanks for any help.
    Engrave at a higher resolution. I'd suggest 500dpi or greater. Expect engraving time to double as a result.

IMO, all laser engraving should be done at 500dpi or better. Anything less does not look good.

Try rotating the image and re-laser it see if the lines change direction.

That will tell you if it is the file or somethings else.

Sometimes I have to narrow things down a piece at a time.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries
    Jaime,

Was the dithering done by the laser driver or was it done by a different piece of software before sending it to the laser? If a different piece, did you change the images size after dithering?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Any chance you changed the image size after ruining it through Photograv?

I have seen that posted a few times over the 5 years I have been reading the Forums.

You can't change the size after Photograv.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Al, he said he didn't use PhotoGrav.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Wow! Thanks for the quick respon. I think need to look in my procedure in resizing a photo before engraving. I will try your suggestion
    applied a gaussian ( Not familiar with this process)
    rotating the image (Great idea)
    Not sure what is dithering, I Create the layout and set the speed, power and send direct to Epilog machine using there drivers.

Thanks so much will work on it and get back to you.

Same problem with my Epilog TT 45 watt. Photos on tile almost always had horiz. banding. Now have Epilog Legend 60 watt. Have the same type of banding when engraving micro-surfaced acrylic (Romark). Epilog tech, Ian, wants me to send photo of my test shots & he will trouble-shoot with me. I'll let you know if we have any success...don't hold your breath!

Reolution

That looks like you have your image at the wrong resolution. Any chance you resized or cropped the image without resampling?

I used to have similar problems, but diagonal banding, with my Accuris. I was told that if I removed all other printer drivers from my computer the banding would go away.......surprisingly enough, it solved the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Liversidge View Post
    That looks like you have your image at the wrong resolution. Any chance you resized or cropped the image without resampling?

I used to have similar problems, but diagonal banding, with my Accuris. I was told that if I removed all other printer drivers from my computer the banding would go away.......surprisingly enough, it solved the problem...
    That is definitely a resolution issue. Try engraving at a higher resolution. 300dpi is VERY high for an image on a computer. 300dpi is VERY low for printing. I don't do a lot of photos, so going to 500dpi or better might result in weird half tone results, but I've done a lot of testing with other images and 500dpi is my favorite resolution. It looks as good as 1000dpi but takes half the time. I run 90% of my stuff at 500dpi. Any time I go lower, I'm always disappointed.

That might also be caused by a dirty encoder strip. Have you tried moving the physical location of the tile on laser bed? Such as 6 inches down 6incches right using same image.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

This is great stuff. In CorelDRAW is resolution and resampling the same? This could help I first.
    #1 Cropped Image
    #2 Resample to 300 resolution if needed
    #3 Powerclip into a square and center
    #4 Print 30 S/100 P 300 resolution
    I always try to keep the photo and print resolution the smae is that right?Will try at a higher resolution and keep you posted.
    Thank so much

Dose anyone know how to crop a photo in CorelDraw to a size. So I don't have powerclip.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JAIME PUJOL View Post
    This is great stuff. In CorelDRAW is resolution and resampling the same? This could help I first.
    #1 Cropped Image
    #2 Resample to 300 resolution if needed
    #3 Powerclip into a square and center
    #4 Print 30 S/100 P 300 resolution
    I always try to keep the photo and print resolution the smae is that right?Will try at a higher resolution and keep you posted.
    Thank so much
    Screen resolution and print resolution are two completely different things. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...solution.shtml When I'm engraving, I'm far less concerned with the screen resolution and far more concerned with the printer resolution.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving