Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Dust collector?

Which Dust collector?

Would you guys get the Harbor freight for 140 new or this jet used for 200?
    http://southbend.craigslist.org/tls/1636685892.html

[Moderator edit] Adding text from Craiglist post so thread has value after CL post disappears

Selling my JET dust collector dc-650. Used a handful of times and still in mint condition. These normally sell for 340.00 new, trying to move for 200

[End Edit]
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 03-10-2010 at 6:49 PM. Reason: Add CL text

I think the HF is seriously overrated, and it's extremely annoying to have a cheap 120V only motor that pulls nearly 20A.

That Jet is a reasonable design (and I've seen half a dozen of them in mint condition for about $100 in the past few months).

I'd personally skip the HF.

I dont have any experience with either. I have thought many times about buying the harbor freight. Even though I am a staunch advocate against buying cheap tools. What scares me too is the cheap motor that draws 20 amps. I wish someone would so a test on a bunch of them to find out what they draw 90% of the time. If they pull 18 at start up but then run at 12, that isn't so bad. But if they spike over 20 at start up and then run at 18, I don't want any part of that. Sounds like a recipe for disaster with a 2hp motor pulling that many amps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Denture View Post
    I think the HF is seriously overrated, and it's extremely annoying to have a cheap 120V only motor that pulls nearly 20A.

That Jet is a reasonable design (and I've seen half a dozen of them in mint condition for about $100 in the past few months).

I'd personally skip the HF.
    Where have you seen the Jets for that price? I have the HF and actually agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dorn View Post
    Where have you seen the Jets for that price? I have the HF and actually agree with you.
    Like my (just updated) profile says, Southern California. I've been looking for another DC for a few months and have seen some of the $100 Jets sell in a day, but others hung around for a week or more (mostly flakes not showing up, according to the sellers). I decided to get something different in the end, but I was seriously considering a Jet.

Wood Magazine did a review in March 2008 where the Delta 50-760 and Grizzly came out on top and the Harbor Freight on the bottom. Anybody remember how the Jet did?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Wood Magazine did a review in March 2008 where the Delta 50-760 and Grizzly came out on top and the Harbor Freight on the bottom. Anybody remember how the Jet did?

http://www.deltaportercable.com/uplo...Collectors.pdf

Here ya go.

One thing about the Jet/PM ones Bill Pentz seemed to like them alot compared to other brands.

I would definately take the Jet over the HF.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-09-2010 at 9:27 PM.

I've recently read 2 instances of the HF motor going out after 1 year. That's one of the reasons I went with the 50-760...reliability.

Regards,
    Chas

Price the same ... my choice prolly the Jet, too, if it in great shape.

Yet to hear myself of a HF motor going bad and know many in use around here more than 6-7 years so (includes my very old one out there) .... guess that 10 buck extended warranty would take that fear away anyway.
    On startup - my old one drew 17-18a it was said. Never tripped a breaker - and a 15a circuit it was on. I moved it to a 20a in later years.

I can't knock the HF at all other than the old bags....lousy. And I did toast a 1.5hp Jet motor once too. So I don't give a rats rear what brand they are. They can and do fail sometimes.

Still - all things equal, if it has low hours on the Jet and better bags on it(?) I'd be slightly inclined that way. Not by much though .................based on my experience only. YMMV

I considered many before I went with the grizzly G0548Z 2HP. I can say I love it and works great for the size shop I have and tools I’m using. The HF unit seemed a little cheap for me and the jet a little too much. I looked at the grizzly and decided the price and 2 hp motor would be enough for my shop. Good luck and remember any unit you buy will help keep the dust down.

I have the Delta 50-760 and it's GREAT! I run it on 110 volts with no trouble, but will likely put it on it's own 220 circuit, just because I can.

It's a tall bugger, though -- due to the length of the 1-micron felt bag.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    http://www.deltaportercable.com/uplo...Collectors.pdf

Here ya go.

One thing about the Jet/PM ones Bill Pentz seemed to like them alot compared to other brands.

I would definately take the Jet over the HF.

I recently went from a one hp grizzley to the 2 hp HF model that is being much malinged here.

Outside of a bent impeller housing (which was probably damaged in transit) I have had no problems with this unit. Espcially when you compare the price (139 with the coupon in this months WOOD magasine).

The HF unit is far superior to the grizzly IMHO and a much better value.

I have this unit plumbed to several tools with the use of blast gates and am more than pleased with it. I could only go about a 4 foot length of hose with the grizzly.

HF is only about ten minutes from my house and I am a frequent shoper there and I can tell you from personal experiance that some of their tools are junk and some are quite good, you just have to be able to seperate the chaff from the wheat. I dont think it fair to say that all of their merchendise is either one or the other.

Don't forget what you can do with the Delta...

Cameron Reddy

I passed up a bunch of those Jet DC650s in favor of the HF... 1HP motor, 650 CFM, 30 micron filtration with no reasonable cost upgrade path that I am aware of. There isn't much to like about the Jet...

I would guess the guys that slam the HF DC have never used one, or even been around one other than possibly a floor display model at Harbor Freight...

If you are open to buying used though, keep your eyes peeled for a second hand Delta 50-760.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

15. I'm kind of in the same spot with making a first DC purchase. Do I get the $139 Harbor Frieght DC. I often see Jet DC 1100's or older 1.5HP grizzly's going for around $200-250 on my local Craigs List. On rare occasion a Delta 50-850 has popped up but prices have generally run not much lower than buying new. A few days ago a delta 50-760 popped up for $225 but I missed out on it