Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finishing Room

Really nice, Matt. I, too, would love to have a dedicated finishing area, but it's not going to happen with the way my shop building is now. 'Can't take the last bay without getting a divorce (all the lawn and garden stuff needs a home) and upstairs isn't practical from a logistics standpoint.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks great, Matt. Pretty jealous here in Colorado....

Finally got this pretty much wrapped up today with the enclosure for my HVLP turbine and some final rearranging of stuff stored in the cabinets that I moved in and another set that I have elsewhere in the shop.

As mentioned above, one of the switches in the wall switches an outlet for the turbine so I can turn it on and off in the shop. Its very quiet from inside the finishing room--pretty much can't hear it over the hissing of my bleeder gun and definitely not over the exhaust fan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-21-2011 at 1:58 PM.

Great thread Matt, I'm in the process of doing something similar. Do you have pics of the actual booth that you are using set up infront of the fan?

How are you dealing with the heat loss with the fan opening in your winters?
    Centauro T5 Hydraulic Copy Lathe
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

I am very jealous. Just for comparison purposes, this is my dedicated finishing room.

IMG_2398.jpg

Jared, I didn't realize I never posted photos or any information on the filter box.

Basically I built a box from 3/4" plywood for the filters. I then covered that with 2 layers of 3/4" pink foam board. Finally, I covered that with some thin hardboard, basically to protect the foam. There's room for 2 stacked 25x25 filters. When I'm not using the fan, a plug made from 2 layers of the foam keeps the heat in or out as desired. Its working well too, because that room is nice and cool today while the shop is starting to warm up.

DSCF3272.jpgDSCF3273.jpg

For winter spraying, basically I allow the temp to drop while I'm actually spraying. Everything in the shop is warm so the heater quickly brings the temp back up. I keep it about 70-72 when spraying, so it hasn't been problematic.

I also took care of one other little detail--a fixed ladder for accessing the storage loft created above the finishing room.

DSCF3279.jpg
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-24-2011 at 5:33 PM.

Thanks! So your room is the booth, theres no structure around the fan to take away the overspray?

Also in the one picture it looks like you cut a hole in the wall to allow for air to get into the finishing room (with the filter), from the main shop area. I would have a similar set up, but the shop area gets quite dusty even with DC, so not sure if that would work for me. I was thinking about installing a window in the side of the shop to allow for airflow to get in.

Thoughts.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

Correct. I thought about installing some kind of fresh air intake from outside, but the vent I put in and an open window in the shop do the same. And the intake filters should do a good job of getting shop dust.

What was the reasoning behind not building some sort of booth around the fan? Most that I have seen do. Just trying to get a feel of what I need to build or not build.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

I really didn't feel the need. What I did was similar to what a friend has and his works well for him. In my initial tests I think mine will as well.

Thanks...how high is the fan off of the ground?

And what was your reasoning for having the HVLP unit out side of the booth? Or is it just as simple as more space?
    Last edited by Jared Greenberg; 08-25-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

The fan is about 30" off the ground. Exact height was dictated by the placement of the purlins. I'd actually have liked it about 24" lower. Of course too low and it could have allowed rodents in.

HVLP is outside for 2 reasons: First, that way its now attempting to draw in any overspray, and second, its a lot quieter in the finishing room without the turbine in there. I'd probably need to wear hearing protection between the turbine and fan.

Pefect thanks....I think that's about it for now. This has been the best source of info on the www for a spray booth that I'm looking to build. Now I just have to decide on building a window to replace the air or your filter idea to the other part of the shop. There are positives and negatives to both...
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4