Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My wife keeps yelling at me....

My wife keeps yelling at me....

...because I spend more time (and money) building things for my workshop than on furniture for her.

I keep telling her, "but honey, when I work on the shop I'm really doing it for you so that I can build you things!"

She ain't buyin' it!

Jason

Lol good luck with that excuse.

When SWMBO isn't happy, NO ONE is happy!

I've had the same issue! I have SOOOO many things I want to do to the shop, but I've learned to sometimes put one of her projects at the top of "THE LIST"... I've made more things for other people than her, so I need to balance out that ratio some!

Just finished a fish tank stand that she wanted for the 20 gal long tank, turned out pretty good so she should be happy for a while!

At least she is letting you spend money...

I keep hearing about how this needs to be painted, this needs to be done..

They never do! Make her a nice curio cabinet that should help.

Same boat here....bookcases are definitely next on my list....that or sleep IN the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Gummer View Post
    Same boat here....bookcases are definitely next on my list....that or sleep IN the shop.

sleep in the shop,,,,uhmmm and whats so bad about that.....lol..

what is it about wood that captivates us so much?!!

Not trying to steal thread but I just want to mention that one time i came across a website that believed that working with certain woods would have an effect on your mental behavior. makes you wonder eh
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Try these. They cancel out unwanted noise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And here I thought I was the only one with that problem. The wife wants a hutch in the kitchen to replace the drawers that will be taken out when I put the dish washer in. I told her she makes a great dish washer but she still wants a mechanical one.

Look at Mike Johnson's shop in the workshop section. He has the fridge, microwave, and sink already set up. I figure he has a fold up bed there somewhere.

WIFE is actually an acronym:
    W: washing
    I: ironing
    F: frustrating
    E: etc.
    You could also replace the "F" with something that is more fun in bed but since I am new to this forum I thought I would clean it up a little.

All wives are like this...ya gotta produce to keep the new tools flowing...that is just how the wife works....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Just another reason to keep my current IRS filing status the same (i.e. Single)

Suckers... haha

Is my situation better or worse?

Her hobby is quilting and sewing.

It turns out ... you can spend a HECK of a lot of money on toys for THOSE hobbies, too!

So ... she doesn't gripe, but ...

a) We spend 2X what we would if it were just my shop, and

b) I'm not carrying around any of her homemade purses, but she is getting a nightstand, a vanity, etc., etc.

I feel ya'.

I feel ya'

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    Is my situation better or worse?

Her hobby is quilting and sewing.

It turns out ... you can spend a HECK of a lot of money on toys for THOSE hobbies, too!

So ... she doesn't gripe, but ...

a) We spend 2X what we would if it were just my shop, and

b) I'm not carrying around any of her homemade purses, but she is getting a nightstand, a vanity, etc., etc.

I feel ya'.

I feel ya'

Ha, I know about that, my Mom sold Husqvarna sewing machines for 10 years...

My wife is actually ok with it, it is my hobby, so as long as I enjoy it, she is ok with it!

I tag along my projects with her requests. Takes twice as long to complete, but all is happy . If anything, I just tell her I need these to do those

I used this approach when explaining my passion for woodworking....Honey, some men have the hobby of being unfaithful, some men spend most evenings in a bar, some men are workaholics and are never home, some men are sports fanatics and are either playing them or watching them with their buddies. I work with wood as my hobby in my shop at our house, which in my opinion is way better than most alternatives. Then when I want to buy a new tool or wood or other supplies, I make sure I ask her if she would like to go with me and we can make an afternoon or evening out of it. Stop some place and have a nice dinner and if it's something expensive that I'm going to buy, I make sure gets something out of it too. A new dress or shoes or whatever she would like to get while we're out. An hour shopping with my wife is far less painful than listening to complaints. It's give and take and it works wonderfully for me!