Thread: Impact Driver and Drill Driver Kits

Impact Driver and Drill Driver Kits

I find myself in need of an impact driver, so checked out AcmeTools to see what kind of deals they are offering. I was looking into 18V Lithium Ion drivers and drills, and came across the Bosch 12V Max Litheon Impact and Pocket Driver Kit for $189.99. How do owners think that the 12V vs 14 or 18 for routine drilling and driving operations? I have an old 12V Makita drill, but my other cordless tools are all Ryobi 18V tools from a gift set.

Thanks.

Doc

http://www.acmetools.com/webapp/wcs/...61395_62166_-1
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I also needed an impact screwdriver recently. Because of medical conditions, I needed one to operate the screwjacks on my travel trailer. I found the 18v Hitachi combination impact and screwdriver and light kit at Lowes for about the same price you quoted for the 12v. None of the ones with lesser voltage could provide the torque i needed. The lithium ion battery has plenty of life to lower and raise all four jacks more than once without recharging. The screwdriver is a two speed so it works very well for drilling. I haven't needed the light yet but it is a very bright light. I couldn't be more pleased.

Doc, for me 18v more powerful but bigger size battery. If you will work only in the shop - 12v more then enough even for impact driver.
    Regarding make - I like Bosch, driver fills more comfortable in my hand.
    Ed.

The cheap approach would be to get a 18v bare tool Ryobi, they are about 70 bucks. They aren't as powerful as say a 18v Dewalt but the Ryobi has as much torque as most people need.

The 12V Bosch drivers are excellent tools; I have had over 10 in use all day long, every day for 2 years in my company's assembly operations, and not a single one has ever had a problem. They really fit well in the hand, and no one complains about getting tired (which they did often when we had 18V NiCad Makitas).

At home I have a 12V Bosch driver but also have the Makita LCT 18V Compact Lithium Ion drill and impact driver kit, which is really a much more powerful tool, but still pretty light. I have seen the LCT kit can on sale for almost the same price as the Bosch kit, and reconditioned it is the smae price. The batteries on the Makitas charge in 10 min vs 30 min for the Bosch.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LCT200W...8264459&sr=8-5

Also, the Bosch driver is obviously a 1/4 hex shank chuck, so really not usuable for any serious drilling. Personally, I'd again pick up the Bosch driver for normal shop screwdriver work (just bought another on sale at Lowe's for $89) but get the Makita kit for the impact driver, especially if you plan to do any exterior work.

Really depends on what you are doing. I use mine EVERY day and I will say there are pros and cons to both 12v and 18v.

As stated the 18v is my go-to tool. Power and weight (Litium-ion). This thing kicks butt. Love it.

This however is more of a specialty item for me. It can get into the smallest places and is even lighter (smaller battery obviously). It doesn't have the overall "umph" of the 18v, but for most screwing and driving applications it does really well.

Either way you'll love it. I never use a regular drill'driver unless I need to holesaw or use the concrete bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    The cheap approach would be to get a 18v bare tool Ryobi, they are about 70 bucks. They aren't as powerful as say a 18v Dewalt but the Ryobi has as much torque as most people need.

I considered that, but am on my second set of Ryobi batteries, and am looking to upgrade to Lithium Ion batteries anyway. The LI replacements are $90/each, so for $180 I can get new batteries, or for a little more, get another drill/driver too.

Does anyone have the 18V Porter-Cable combo? Just saw that too:

http://www.acmetools.com/webapp/wcs/...61174_61945_-1

Thanks,

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Have you looked at the Rockwell RK2806K2 with 18 volt nicads for $189.00. They advertise batteries for life!

Richard

I have the Li-Ion 18V Ridgid set and had never used an impact driver before and fell in love with it for finishing the walls and ceiling of my garage with 3/4 and 1/2" OSB. I charged the battery once and used it to drive all the drywall screws for 2 walls and all the ceiling in my 25 x 26 garage. Its lighter and easier to handle than the drill, has plenty of power and the battery seems to last longer. Its now my first choice when needing to drive screws and I don't need the clutch.

Lifetime Warranty

Ridgid, though I haven't purchased it yet, I will be shortly, offers a lifetime warranty on the batteries if you purchase it at Home Depot. Purchase it at Amazon or somewhere else and the warranty doesn't apply. This is the deal breaker for me as my Dewalt battery lasted less than two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    I considered that, but am on my second set of Ryobi batteries, and am looking to upgrade to Lithium Ion batteries anyway. The LI replacements are $90/each, so for $180 I can get new batteries, or for a little more, get another drill/driver too.

Does anyone have the 18V Porter-Cable combo? Just saw that too:

http://www.acmetools.com/webapp/wcs/...61174_61945_-1

Thanks,

Doc

Have you looked at the Ryobi sets, never buy their sinle batteries you can get sets wth charger and more tools for about the same price, not sure if there is a Li set with a impact though. They have paired down the number of sets they sale.

I have the Makita 18v and use it every day at work. It is hands down the best impact for what I use it for which is, carry it on a belt and drive a lot of drywall screws in wood. It charges fast, lasts a long time is powerful and light.

HD has had a combo with the drill driver and impact in a soft case for $250.