Thread: Planer above jointer idea

Planer above jointer idea

I got thinking today about how to get the most of my work space. As I understand the planer pretty much feeds the boards through on its own so I was thinking about building a long shelf mounted on the wall using french cleats then placing the planer on that, with the long shelf serving as infeed/outfeed. This would be mounted just a bit above my other machines like jointer/sander, the planer being about shoulder level. I know this could pose as a safety issue for many seeing how you would lose the control you would have using it at normal height. I assume if there is proper infeed and outfeed it could be a somewhat functional setup as well as a huge space saver.

What size planer are you talking about??

I would be using a dewalt 13" planer. BTW, Lowes has lowered the price on these units from 649 to 549.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Woloshyn View Post
    I would be using a dewalt 13" planer. BTW, Lowes has lowered the price on these units from 649 to 549.

Yes but if a person were to look towards that big auction place (ebay) you can get them for as little as 375 new.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Greg, how about the reverse with your jointer on top of your planer?

Could you build a stand for your jointer with the planer underneath it like a combination machine?

I just think that working a t shoulder height or higher is a bit tough with heavier boards.........Rod.

+1 Rod. I did something similar with my miter saw and planer - the miter saw is a little higher than usual, and the planer a little lower. Worked just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a nice setup, I'm planning on making a miter saw stand sometime so maybe I will mount my planer underneath. I'm not that tall so I think raising up the jointer and putting the planer underneath would just make jointing boards hard for me. There's so many options to consider when trying to save space. I have a decent size shop at 20x18 but when designing my layout I didn't consider the extra misc storage space I know I would need. You can never have enough space!

Fliptop Cabinet

If you have space for one of these, then you might consider a fliptop cabinet that serves as an outfeed or extension wing to your table saw.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnkOOA6cco

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of this here at the creek.

Here's one possible way to eliminate the 'outfeed space' needed for your planer. You can see on the right-hand edge of this picture where I run the stock of my 15" planer right out through the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Allan View Post
    Here's one possible way to eliminate the 'outfeed space' needed for your planer. You can see on the right-hand edge of this picture where I run the stock of my 15" planer right out through the wall.

Neat idea, I've got my tablesaw and jointer positioned so that if i want to rip anything over about 50" i have to open the door, but never seen/thought about an outfeed door.

Thanks, yeah, I do basically the same thing with my cabinet saw. Just open the overhead door, pop up the outfeed rollers, and outfeed outside. (There's also a good-sized awning overhead out there that's not visible in the picture).