Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18th Century talk

18th Century talk

Hello all,
    I've been asked to visit the local elementary school tomorrow and to do a show and tell on 18th century woodworking tools. It will be fun. I don't know about you, but I certainly get a kick out of kids being interested in tools. Anyway, I'll be in period clothes and this time I'm looking for information on 18th century talk. I've been challenged by a friend at Barb's (my wife's) school to be a person of that time.

Maybe some of you neanders out there have mastered the "talk in time thing." If you have done this or know of some good resources, please chime in. I've been searching and seen a few things, but nothing really helped enough so far on that aspect.

Jim

Old speak

Jim,

I would recommend you read Joseph Moxon Mechanicks Exercises [in print from Toolemera press] and it will give you a good idea of the writing and subsequent speaking as was done in the 18th century.

Also Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Dana has more dialogue but a bit latter and Moby Dick by Herman Melville and Robinson Crusoe by Danial DeFoe are from the time period.

I have the honor to remain,
    moft refpectfully,

Stephen

3. Get a copy of "Colonial AMerican English" by Richard M. Lederer, Jr. It's a just a dictionary of old terms and their modern equivalents but it might be useful.

Joel and Stephen,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I appreciate it.

Jim

The King's English, or some udder language?

Roy Underhill?

In a lot of Roy Underhill's books he uses a lot of old sayings. Might not be totally accurate but it's probably more important to make the kids enjoy the performance than historical accuracy. Just my 2c.

Eric

Hi Eric. I certainly have Roy's books and that is good idea. Laughing aside, I don't think it will be a performance, but I know what you meant. Fortunately, kids are easier to please than the adults or at least the folks that will see me are sports anyway. Frankly, that is what I always liked about watching Roy Underhill he knows how to adjust to mishaps, things flying off the lathe, etc.

Take care,
    Jim

8. Good luck in reading all those before tomorrow!

As someone who does living history events, being in first person is the hardest part of the whole thing. It takes a lot of work and time to create your character to a degree that you can BE that person for any length of time. Regional dialects and colloquialisms were much more pronounced than they are today too, so it very much depends on where you are supposed to be.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

How did it go?

Visiting elementary schools has to be one of the coolest things ever. I can still remember standing in front of my younger son's second grade class explaining the various structures of rocks to the kids, then showing them with a polarizing microscope and some slides borrowed from the university where I worked. Some of the kids must have gotten back in line four times, and it was only Mrs. Farrell's consummate skill as a teacher that allowed bringing the presentation to an end. The kids were amazed that you can make rock thin enough to see through.

I'm not a geologist - it's not normally a job requirement in human resources, how I made my living - but knew just enough geology for a second grade class. In my opinion, it's vital to show kids how big and interesting the world is.

How did your presentation go?

Where were you guys when I was in 2nd grade?
    We never got anything cool like that.

Hope it went well.

Bill and Rick, thanks for asking.

I just got home after getting something to eat. It went very well. I followed Don's advice of focusing on being a character of a certain time period, in this case Upstate New York in 1774. It worked even though my preparation time was limited.

What was cool was weaving in the history as if it were happening now. The kids loved it and I can see how some investment in the Kings' English might really add to it. I brought along my new frame saw, did some demonstrations with it on veneer cutting and that was a hit too.

Funny thing on the old tools, they are great props for interesting kids in woodworking.

Jim

Pictures

I broke the ice on talking in time. I have much to learn, but I will keep at it. Here are a couple pictures and one features my new toy, a veneer frame saw.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim,
    Congratulations!
    And thanks for taking the time to share with the kids (the class and us)

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Excellent!

I applaud you for the effort. It is wonderful to inspire isn't it? I wish more people would spent time teaching kids how to do things and allow them to think and solve physical problems themselves. Now if we could just get the corporate biggies to start thinking that historically, Made-in-America used to reflect quality you could count on. If we could instill a "buy only the best quality" mentality and eliminate the junk some stores are selling, maybe the future generations will be able to better explore their potential.

Eric