Thread: This Planer Handle Has Got To Go

This Planer Handle Has Got To Go

Every time I walk by my Powermatic Planer I manage to drive this height adjustment handle into my side. I finally got fed up and removed it, but then had a thought.

Is anyone aware of a little swivel (maybe called rotating) joint that would have basically 2 threaded studs out each side? I could then mount one of those little black phonelic balls - identical to the speed adjustment lever on the planer - and get the same effect but with far less obstruction. I looked over the handle that I took off and for the life of me I can't figure out how they assemble them.

Thanks !

Lewis

PS - Here's the culprit (photo courtesy of New Woodworking.com - hopefully I'll not get blasted for copyright infrigement or something).

And here's what I'm thinking (Sketchup rules....)

I wonder if you can still find a "suicide knob"--they used to have these knobs that looked like that which you fastened on to your steering wheel so you could drive one handed. Presumably without your seatbelt on, arm also out the window, other arm around your girl.

Found one... I think this one is perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Skull-S...reative=380797
    Last edited by Eric DeSilva; 03-11-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Suicide knobs can be found at Tractor Supply. A must on riding lawnmowers.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    I wonder if you can still find a "suicide knob"--they used to have these knobs that looked like that which you fastened on to your steering wheel so you could drive one handed. Presumably without your seatbelt on, arm also out the window, other arm around your girl.

Found one... I think this one is perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Skull-S...reative=380797
    HAHA - This had me laughing pretty good. Man, I remember those suicide knobs well - there used to be a place that sold them up here in Canada close to where I grew up - they had ones with a picture of a naked chick in them.....I think I was only 13 or 14 when I remember looking them over in the store

Take a look at the grizzly 12 inch jointer like the go609x they have a folding handle. They have a parts break down online also. Now I have no idea if it will fit but maybe you can call em and find out the thread size.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Johnson View Post
    Take a look at the grizzly 12 inch jointer like the go609x they have a folding handle. They have a parts break down online also. Now I have no idea if it will fit but maybe you can call em and find out the thread size.

Phil
    Thanks Phil - will take a look - that's another good option.
    McMaster Carr might be an option as well - they seem to sell everything and I didn't think about them.

Found one !
    Not cheap though - 25 bucks at McMaster Carr
    For anyone that might come across this thread in the future, it's called a folding rotating handle. The PM15 planer's handle threads are 3/8-16 and the Grizzly's are metric, but McMaster has a handle that looks like it will work.
    Here's the link - http://www.mcmaster.com/#knobs/=6682z7

You have to worm your way down in the handle section to find it.

Thanks for the tips and ideas everyone,

Lewis

Right, so I was out in the shop today with the digital camera and decided to post these pics of my new PM15 planer height handle that I got from McMaster Carr. It's great for my situation - and I have not had the pleasure of driving it into my side as I walk by the planer since I installed it

Figured I'd pop these pics up here so we can "close out" this thread so to speak.

The handle rotates (swivels) like the original one as well.

Thanks for looking,
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Suicide knobs can be found at Tractor Supply. A must on riding lawnmowers.
    Not sure it'd help on a zero turn.

Just gotta train yourself to not get hung up on that handle. I've got my planer in kind of a tight spot, and I too used to snag it when walking by. I'd hate having to make big changes, say from 3/4" to 4" with just the wheel.

edit- Nevermind, I didn't read all the way through the thread. That does look like a good solution.

Looks good! Thanks for taking the time to show the solution to the problem.

Some people see a problem and get angry. Some people see a problem and find a solution.

Well done.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I think you're going to miss the skull and cross bones or a nice naked figurine in that handle in the long run. Seriously, great solution, makes you wonder why they don't come like that stock! Perhaps you should email those photos to powermatic along with photos of your bruised ribs!

Lewis, could you post a link to McMaster for the specific folding knob you used I cant seem to find it.

Thanks Loren

Lewis , never mind I just found it, thanks for the post

Loren

What about getting rid of the planer, is that option still on the table? Lets talk
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack