Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/8 hp power feeder on 1 1/2hp shaper?

1/8 hp power feeder on 1 1/2hp shaper?

Hi all

I'm wondering if this is a good match. I recently fell into a Jet 1 1/2hp shaper which fit my needs/budget/space perfectly. I ran some 3/4" quarter round trim using feather boards, and had to sand out lots of ridges where I'd hesitated as I fed the stock. So now I'm looking a power feeders and have a few questions.

1)The weight (27lb on a 200 lb shaper) and power of a "baby stock feeder" seem to be a good match for a smaller shaper. Anybody using this combination? I did some research and small feeders seem to get mixed reviews. I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone using this combo.

2) The next size up is the 1/4hp feeder, at 80lb. Overkill for this combo? I know that the reviews are better for this unit, but I don't want to create a dangerous situation.

At some time in the distant future, I will be running several rooms full of crown molding. The rest of the time will probably be short runs of profiles for furniture.

IMMHO, the "baby" feeder is really too small for even a 1.5 HP shaper. I would go with at least the 1/4 HP feeder.
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks for replying David. I'll shop accordingly.

I have a Grizzly 3 wheel 1/2 HP feeder on my 2 HP Delta HD shaper. I considered the 1/4 HP but decided if I made a mistake on the size I wanted to be bigger, not too small. It seems to work fine. I recently ran some 1 1/4" thick, 13" wide, 7 feet long pieces of sapele through it with no problems.

+1 on 1/2 HP! 1/4 HP minimum!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I also have a 1/2 HP stock feeder, it's not really the HP that's a problem, because 1/4HP motor with enough gear ratio to run at 20 feet per minute will drag your shaper up the stairs and down the street.

The issue is that typically untill you get into the 1/2 HP to 1 HP range, the mounting columns and attachments aren't rigid enough to put all that force to use.

The feeder can apply hundreds of pounds of force to the workpiece, you need a strong arm assembly to resist deflecting under that much force.

Regards, Rod.

Thanks guys. I think I'll keep looking at 1/4 hp units, even though they aren't as burly as bigger ones. I haven't tried any really big and deep cuts yet, but I'm guessing my little shaper will need more than one pass anyway. I plan to add some extra ballast, but I'm not comfortable with a heavier feeder atop my shaper, since it needs to get rolled around for each use. It's fairly top heavy to start with.

Power Feeder

Bigger is better when it comes to Power Feeders. I have a 1 HP, 220V one on mine and it works well. I went with a three wheel model, but was schooled by folks with far more experience than I that 4 wheels are a better choice as it balances the forces better between the infeed and outfeed side.

Just something to consider, though weight becomes a factor. Mine weighs 150 lbs. The four wheelers I looked at were about 20-30 pounds more.

Regards,

John

1/8hp on a lightweight router table yes... you can go bigger on a shaper I'm sure.

I have ordered a 1/8hp for my router table just for small boards. Will let you know how it goes

cheers

alex

Please do, Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Silva View Post
    1/8hp on a lightweight router table yes... you can go bigger on a shaper I'm sure.

I have ordered a 1/8hp for my router table just for small boards. Will let you know how it goes

cheers

alex
    Grizzly's tent sale is coming in May . Any of the 1/4+ h.p. power feeders are too heavy for my router table. 79 lbs for 1/4 h.p. vs. 27 lbs. for 1/8 h.p.

Currently using a 1/8hp power feeder, Delta that was discontinued $180.00 out the door , and it seem to work great. I am using it on a router table not a shaper.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

David,

I had that shaper. You will need to add to the table to get a 1/4 hp feeder to fit without obstructing the fence. I added two blocks of steel to the back edges of the table to make room.

The other issue to consider is the weight of the feeder. The shaper is not terribly large, and you need to exercise caution that the feeder, when swung out of the way, will not tip the shaper.

I do strongly recommend getting a 1/4 hp feeder.

Cameron Reddy

Versa Feeder 1/8 HP

Last year Rockler had a special sale where you lined up at the door at 5 am in the hopes of getting one of the items listed in the flyer. They offered the Delta Versa Feeder for only $99. Although it's only 1/8 hp I couldn't pass it up. I have 3 shapers and mounted it on my 3 hp Delta. It works surprisingly well. I think key to the discussion is the width of the stock you are feeding. The wider the stock, the greater the contact area with the table. The greater the contact area, the more sliding resistance, and there, a problem could develop. The friction also increases with the thickness and density of the wood which results in more weight. Another issue to consider is the size of the bite the cutter imposes and the depth of cut you are taking. But for small moldings, I find that even this tiny feeder works very well. One good argument to use when purchasing a feeder..."But sweetheart, it keeps my fingers away from the cutters." If that one works, buy a big one.

David,

I had that shaper. You will need to add to the table to get a 1/4 hp feeder to fit without obstructing the fence. I added two blocks of steel to the back edges of the table to make room.

The other issue to consider is the weight of the feeder. The shaper is not terribly large, and you need to exercise caution that the feeder, when swung out of the way, will not tip the shaper.

I do strongly recommend getting a 1/4 hp feeder.
    That's exactly the voice of experience I was hoping for Cameron. I was envisioning adding 100lb or so of ballast to the cabinet to keep it more stable.

Last year Rockler had a special sale where you lined up at the door at 5 am in the hopes of getting one of the items listed in the flyer. They offered the Delta Versa Feeder for only $99. Although it's only 1/8 hp I couldn't pass it up. I have 3 shapers and mounted it on my 3 hp Delta. It works surprisingly well.
    Thanks John, now I'm both envious and more confused. Think I'll still hold out for a bigger one though.