Thread: SketchUp in FWW and PWW

SketchUp in FWW and PWW

Glad to see FWW and PWW getting a grasp of how to market SU instruction.

The SU plans and models were a very welcome addition some time ago.

PWW just announced Bob Lang will host a digital SU class.

FWW has had good SU instruction in their "Design. Click. Build." section for a few years, but I always found it a bit haphazard for my learning style. I need instruction with more of a continuous flow from one lesson to the next. I just noticed that FWW has taken it's SU archive off-line - hope this means they're developing their own SU course.

Anyone know of any books in the pipeline specifically to teach SU for woodworkers?

Hi Bob,

Glad to hear you like the SketchUp info we have at FineWoodworking.com.

Just to clarify, we didn't remove our Design.Click.Build. archive on purpose, it had to be taken down as part of our migration to a new forum platform. Developers are working to get it back online soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

As to a book on the topic.... good suggestion. We'll see what we can do about that.

Take care, Gina, FineWoodworking.com

Thanks for the kind words, Popular Woodworking has more than 170 free models of projects that have appeared in our magazines available on Google's 3D warehouse, and if you watch the editor's blog we will be releasing the classes very soon.

As far as a book goes, I am working on a SketchUp e-book that will be in PDF format with integrated videos. I'm self-publishing this and it's taking longer to finish than I had planned (a couple of unrelated life events slowed me down) It should be ready in a month or so, and there is a link on my personal website to sign up to be notified when it's ready.

As long as I'm shamelessly self-promoting, I'll be teaching a week-long class on SketchUp at Marc Adams this summer, and SketchUp classes and clinics will be a component of this year's Woodworking in America conference this October.

Bob Lang

Don't discount the online tutorials that Sketchup provides for free.

There's a guy on Youtube who's been very helpful to me, Aiden Chopra, I think.