Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CFM vs. Horsepower; Which is more important for dust collection?

That Delta 50-760 does look really nice. Some suggested mounting this thing on the wall. Is that possible? It looks really tall with both bags. In fact, in some photos, there's a guy standing next to it and the top bag is still taller than him. So I assume it's about 7' tall. I only have 8' ceilings, so not sure how that would work (or what it would really do).

Can these things be mounted sideways? Or are there other wall mounting options I'm not thinking of?

Thanks,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg L. Brown View Post
    That Delta 50-760 does look really nice. Some suggested mounting this thing on the wall. Is that possible? It looks really tall with both bags. In fact, in some photos, there's a guy standing next to it and the top bag is still taller than him. So I assume it's about 7' tall. I only have 8' ceilings, so not sure how that would work (or what it would really do).

Can these things be mounted sideways? Or are there other wall mounting options I'm not thinking of?

Thanks,
    Greg
    I don't think you can change the operating position of the unit, but contact Delta to be sure. And yeah, if it's that tall, you're better off leaving it on the floor with your ceiling height. I sympathize with you on the low ceilings, it's actually a real problem for me if I want to upgrade my DC to a standard Cyclone unit since most of the 3HP units, and some smaller ones too, are like 84" or better in height with the motor mounted on top.
    Here's one more thought, Check with JDS on their small cyclones/ The footprint is about what a single stage unit takes up, and the lower powered cyclones aren't that tall like a traditional cyclone is. I'm mulling over their units as a possible way to go with my low basement height if I ever upgrade from my Delta single stage dust collector.

I was thinking I could put it in my attic, but the ceiling height is really small up there too. I think it's about 4' in the center (the highest part) and then it really drops off from there as the roof slopes.

Are there any side-ways mount dust collectors? That would fit in my attic.

Thanks,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg L. Brown View Post
    I was thinking I could put it in my attic, but the ceiling height is really small up there too. I think it's about 4' in the center (the highest part) and then it really drops off from there as the roof slopes.

Are there any side-ways mount dust collectors? That would fit in my attic.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Contact JDS or Oneida, with your concerns, they'll probably have heard this before and know what to do.

Variety of 1 hp - 2 hp in that general style apppear on cl all the time, some are good deals, some aren't - you should be able to get one in good condition at a reasonable discount if you decide to go that way.

You can shorten the overall height with a canister filter and a smaller collection bag - but the canister adds some $$ as well as much better filtration and collection performance.

Attic would be cool if you get enough cfm to pull that distance - one potential downside is - When is the collection bag full? How will you know?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Here is a height solution...