Thread: Pratt and Lambert 38 users....

Pratt and Lambert 38 users....

Hi; looking for some information here...

I have been using P&L 38 for years and have always been happy with the results. I have probably went through 7 or 8 gallons of the gloss over the years. I had actually found a local source that had several gallons that had sat on the shelf for years. I never had any problems with it as they were sealed and never opened.

I used the last gallon I bought from them and ordered the last from ACE. It has remained unopened until last night. I opened it and immediately transferred it to clean bottles for storage. I immediately noticed that it was a very different color than what I am used to. It was a dark color on a maple stick but very purplish when viewed with a light behind the clear bottle or glass jar. Otherwise, it smelled the same and appeared the same when brushed on, untill it started to dry...

I thinned some 50/50 and applied it with a blue towel pad. In just a few moments, it appeared very rough, as if it raised the grain. After this light sealer coat, it required heavy sanding with 320 to flatten it. Subsequent coats do the same and dry to an almost textured finish.

Now I have tried it on several samples and keep seeing the same result. Remember, I have used gallons of this by thinning and brushing or wiping. The wood is clean and raw and sanded to 220.

Does this sound right to anyone? I remember the color of the varnish to be very similar to honey, a golden amber color. I have never had the finish dry rough, almost as if a fine layer of dust landed upon it. Has anyone noticed a difference in the color?

By the way, I spoke to the tech guy at P&L and he stated that there have been no complaints on that batch # and that is was made in 2008. He said that it sounded fine, but that I should take it up with the dealer if I have any problem. Also, I opened up a can of the Satin and observed that it looked just like what I have always used. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks, Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Take it back. That's just not right. P&L #38 is generally one of the "lightest" in amber color varnishes due to the soya oil used in it's formula. It shouldn't be some other color of the rainbow.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks..

That's my plan. I talked to some people that said that the color is what it is supposed to be (without seeing it). I know that it is not what I remember. However, I think the older stuff I was using might have been over 8 or 9 years old.

I hope I can find what I am looking for. I made a china buffet a couple of years ago and I am in the process of finishing the hutch part to match. I want to use the same product and have it perform the same way. I just can't figure out why this product is not drying flat. I may have to resort to using another brand.

Thanks for the reply,
    Dan

Dan, P&L is a good product, you've used, you know. Somehow, that can got contaminated. A dealer will replace it.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Dan,

I've used several quarts of the #38 recently all purchased within the last few months. All were the purplish color in your picture. The final pieces looked perfectly fine. I just assumed that color was how the product was supposed to be.

Thanks, Ralph

If it weren't for the fact that I've used so much that was not that color, I wouldn't be worried. They must have changed their formulation somewhat. I am not that concerned about the color difference as much as I am the fact that it seems to dry to a rough texture.

I took a picture of a turkey call I finished as a test. The wood is cherry and was finished to 220, applied one coat at about 80/20 (varnish/MS), sanded with 320, several coats of 50/50, sanded again with 320 and then 3 more coats of 50/50. The call is lying on a buffet top finished with the same product (2 years ago). It is much smoother as seen in the photos. I rarely had to sand that finish as I applied it.

I'm taking it back, but I am hesitant about buying another container of it. I am doing a mission finish requiring a seal coat of varnish with a dark glaze, followed by several coats of varnish, the last being satin. It seems that this finish will not be smooth enough to glaze over without sanding, and I don't want the sanding marks highlighted.

Thanks again for the replies, Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images