Thread: G0690/60691 owners

G0690/60691 owners

I just went to use the supplied dado table insert for the first time. I noticed it does not have the rear bolt and nut, nor a place to put one (to hold down the rear of the insert). Is this how yours was/is?

I guess I could drill and tap and put my own in. Is this how it is supposed to be? No indication in the manual either way.

Mine is the same way

Yup, Mine is the same, I noticed it but I have not used the saw with the dado blade yet, so I don't know if it is gonna be a problem or not?

Mine is the same and I have used it. But the real problem is that it is not dead flat. Neither is the "normal" insert. I am not a fan of the bolt-on ones anyway. I have replaced both with shop made ZCI's.

I have also owned 2 Jet contractor's saws. Neither of their inserts were flat either. I just think the metal ones stink.

Salem

Well, I drilled and tapped a hole for the rear bolt. Seems to work fine. I should get a corresponding nut and lock washer like the original to keep the bolt adjusted properly now. As far as flatness; I'm not real picky, but it seems to be pretty flat when adjusted with the set screws.
    (I know that last sentence wasn't grammatically correct. This is a woodworking forum, however; not an English writing forum!)

Same problem.

No bolt. Not flat.

Made my own Zero Clearance and Dado inserts.

MK

With your shop-made ZCI's, are you holding them down with a stud at each end, or just gravity?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    With your shop-made ZCI's, are you holding them down with a stud at each end, or just gravity?
    Mine seem plenty tight with a friction fit. Plus if they are dead flat they really don't have any tendency to raise out.

Salem

Those that made their own ZCI, did you have to make any notches on the bottom for it to fit?

Blog Entries
    I bought the ZCI from Grizzly and it needs to have some material removed underneath if I try to raise the blade to full height. I *think* the riving knife bracket is making contact and raising the ZCI off the table.

I don't mind, but... I bought the ZCI thinking it would be retrofitted for the g0690/691. If I knew I had to go through all that trouble... I'd just have made it myself. Lesson learned.

Rick, I did the same thing you did...drilled, tapped and inserted screw. I had some ole back brace screws from my stereo installing days...same threads as the factory regular kerf insert tapped hole! I don't think it would go anywhere without one if the hold down screw was in, but I didn't want to chance it. Plus, I was waiting for paint to dry.
    I do wish there was a way to make side to side adjustments. My inserts aren't real tight. But they seem to be serviceably (is that a word?) flat. Will eventually make an insert with replaceable pieces for the kerf area. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Rick, I did the same thing you did...drilled, tapped and inserted screw. I had some ole back brace screws from my stereo installing days...same threads as the factory regular kerf insert tapped hole! I don't think it would go anywhere without one if the hold down screw was in, but I didn't want to chance it. Plus, I was waiting for paint to dry.
    I do wish there was a way to make side to side adjustments. My inserts aren't real tight. But they seem to be serviceably (is that a word?) flat. Will eventually make an insert with replaceable pieces for the kerf area. Jim.
    make sure you paint them green!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I used a similar arrangement to the original insert. A 5/16" bolt upside down to hook in the notch at the back of the opening and a reused the M5 screw at the front to keep it in place. I used four 5/16" grub screws for leveling.

I bought some 4" wide aluminum today which I hope to eventually make inserts with a replaceable kerf area.

MK

I haven't had any issue keeping either insert in place with just the front screw.

Now, before I make this next statement, it's just been because of my own laziness that I haven't yet made my own ZCI, but...virtually every time I use the saw I get red paint streaks on my work from the factory inserts. It's just a minor annoyance, but irritating nonetheless.

Sounds like your throat plate is adjusted a little too high?

But really throat plates are annoying if they are not at the perfect height. Just a little high and you can forget about glue-line rips. A little low or high and forget any accuracy cutting tenons with a dado blade. Bleh! I am only frustrated because I have not yet bought enough set screws for all my shop made ZCI's. As soon as I make it to Lowes and spend 1$ my frustration will go away .
    Salem