View Poll Results: What do you do with them?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep everything in them

80 40.61%
  • Store them, but don' use them

66 33.50%
  • Throw them away when I get them (includes give, sell, donate, recycle, etc.)

51 25.89%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blow Molded Plastic Tool Cases

Blow Molded Plastic Tool Cases

Just referring to the blow molded cases here--not bags, Systainers, etc.

Use em? Keep em for when you sell the tool? Toss em?

At first I kept the tool in them. They were a hassle because they took up a ton of room under my bench and I'd end up with stacks of them sitting out while I used the tool. Any more, for all my shop tools (except Festool, see below), I put them in storage. The tools get stored in cabinets. When I've sold the tool, 1/2 the time I forget I've got them. Eventually I throw them away anyway.

I do use a couple--I keep one for my 18V drill out for when we go camping. I put a socket adapter in the drill and use it to run the stabilizer jacks up and down. And I keep my hammer drill in one because I use it more out of the shop than in the shop and there's room for my masonry bits.

So far I keep them in their cases. My drills are rarley in their cases though, I keep the case so I have something to transport them in. I am kind of a pack rat I guess. I have a hard time throwing out something like cases. In my defense none of the tools I have, came in a case that is 10X to big for the tool Most of the cases fit the tools and or acessoiries that came with the tool. Some of my tools like my work sharp I wish had a case. The tool bags are nice too because the take up less space, but they don't stack well.

I use some of mine. I store some of mine. I keep them around just in case I hav to take the tools out to a job or sell the tool.

I pack'em full of crap and give them to the brother-inlaw for Christmas.
    The Plane Anarchist

I only keep my air guns in the case to keep the sawdust out. Everything else is out.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Just a few more and I'll have enough to duct tape them together and get a permit to rent it out as an apartment complex.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sorry, Matt, but if you are using stabilizer jacks you aren't camping!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Just a few more and I'll have enough to duct tape them together and get a permit to rent it out as an apartment complex.

Glenn,

You just gave me a heck of an idea, how bout a diving raft.

I keep them. I come from construction so old habbits die hard.

If anyone is looking to get rid of a Dewalt 18v 4 tool case Let me know.

Thanks! Jeff
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I keep them and use them. I do some jobs out of the shop and they work well for transporting the tool.

I also want to add that a tool with a case is a deciding factor on new tool purchases. As long as the particular tool is comparable, I would pick the one with a case or buy from a particular vendor that sells the tool with a case.

I use mine. That way the cords do not get tangled around something else. I also work out of a van or used to any way.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

I use mine, but they are empty. I use them to take up a whole section of shop cabinets so I can't put anything away, I can't find where the actual tool is, and I have to buy another tool. If I got rid of my tool cases I'd have to put away the pile of ratchet wrenches, jigs, loose bolts, and random paint cans that are out on my bench.

Another mobile user here.
    I keep and use all of mine.

Some cases I do not store the tool in, because, there aren't a lot of little parts to go with the tool and the tool itself doesn't need protection, like corded drills etc. Those cases are gutted of the compartment dividers and re purposed for mobile containers. Some carry sockets and wrench sets, some carry stick fillers and touch up markers.

Andrew