Thread: Quick Clamps by Woodstock - Any Good?

Quick Clamps by Woodstock - Any Good?

I am looking at some quick clamps by Woodstock International. They are sold by Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-Q...Spreader/H6449

I hope it is OK to post that link since I am not advertising them. These are selling for $9.50 each for 18" clamps. But, I don't want to purchase them if they are not really any good. The price seems good. But, I have never heard of them and don't know the quality.

Has anyone purchased/used them and if so, how do they compare with Irwin/Jorgensen/etc.?

Since there have been no replys, I guess that no one is familiar with these clamps. Upon a closer look at the picture, I think they may be Shop Fox clamps - probably light duty if that helps.

I have no experance with that clamp. Just for information ShopFox is the brand name for Wood stock International. WSI is the retail arm of Grizzly tools.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave:

Thanks for the response. I will need about 12 more clamps and I am trying not to have to spend the $15-20 each that the major brands cost. They look a bit "frail" compared to an Irwin or Jorgensen. But, if they actually work well it could be worth a try. I will be interested to see if anyone has experience with them.

I would take 6 GOOD clamps and add cauls vs 12 cheap clamps. And trust me - you need A LOT MORE than 12 more clamps You will know that as soon as you get them and see more on sale.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Look just like the HF clamps just with a "comfort grip"
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    Look just like the HF clamps just with a "comfort grip"
    I just looked at HF and they do look the same. If that's the case, you'll be getting pretty thin bar. I would stay away from them. I bought some cheaps clamps and didn't save any money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I just looked at HF and they do look the same. If that's the case, you'll be getting pretty thin bar. I would stay away from them. I bought some cheaps clamps and didn't save any money.

Pretty much, dont get me wrong, I use the hell out of my HF quick clamps. I've broken my fair share, but for 2 bucks I can go back and get another. However, dont look to these as being strong enough to really hold something. They are just quick clamps for when you really need that extra hand. But you can also spend the money on some Bessey duoklamps or Irwin quikgrips and be a lot happier.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

My FIL has some of those and they are no good. I would try and find sales on the good ones and get them instead. Those ones dont hold for crap.
    Chuck

Blog Entries
    I have several of the "Quick Grip Clamps" and they work well for holding pieces in place for drilling or test fitting, but do not provide sufficient clamping pressure for a good glue joint.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like a few of these (at a few dollars each) might be worth having just for quick hold down purposes. But, they would not be much good for any serious work. So, I will be on the lookout for sales on the good ones. But, I don't seem to be able to find any at a good sale. If anyone knows where I can get Irwin, Bessy or another good brand of 12" quick clamps like these at a good price, please let me know.

Around my shop the squeeze clamps are called wife eliminators, since you don't have to holler "Dear, can you come hold this..." I find them useless for glue - too weak

The heavy duty Irwin pushes sideways, so I have a couple to hold jigs and work on the bench, but not for gluing.

I have a total of 14 K-body clamps, and rarely want more. Good clamps are worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    Pretty much, dont get me wrong, I use the hell out of my HF quick clamps. I've broken my fair share, but for 2 bucks I can go back and get another. However, dont look to these as being strong enough to really hold something. They are just quick clamps for when you really need that extra hand. But you can also spend the money on some Bessey duoklamps or Irwin quikgrips and be a lot happier.

HF clamps are hand tools, and have a lifetime warranty. If you break one, take it back.

14. Thumbs down

I have a couple of these clamps and can only tell you I would not buy any more of them. Bob