Thread: Harbor Freight Air Compressor - Good enough or not worth having?

Harbor Freight Air Compressor - Good enough or not worth having?

I currently use a little pancake compressor for my nail guns, airing the occasional tire, and with my (non HVLP) spray gun. It works fine for the nail guns, but it cycles constantly and is pretty inadequate for spraying. I was considering a larger compressor, and I saw that HF is offering this compressor for $140 this weekend, and you can get that down to $112 with the 20% off coupon. Does anyone have experience with HF compressors? Are they a "gem," a "good enough" item, or are they complete junk? For me, it will be a seldom used item, but I would like a compressor with a tank large enough to run a single dedicated line to a hose reel over my workbench. Will this thing do, or should I pass?

As always, thanks for sharing your wisdom and collective experiences.

Lee

I have an HF compressor, probably one or two down from that model. It's one of the larger torpedo types. the guts of it look similar though. It works just fine for what I want it for, which sounds similar to what you use it for. It is noisy as hell though, despite being an oil lube compressor. Some of that may be because of the acoustics of my garage, but it will never be whisper quiet.

It's good enough. I wouldn't know a gem if I saw one, but I can say that this thing does its job, especially for the spare change it cost me.

What I can also say is that the airline accessories I got with it ARE absolute garbage. The inflator adaptor, the blow gun and the curly hose thing are atrocious.

I have the 220 volt model of that compressor. It's a good deal for the price.
    I had a small problem with the tank leaking down. Tightened all the fittings and it's good now.
    I think the water drain on the tank bottom was the culprit.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. The noise is less of an issue for me. It will be in a side-room of my garage with the DC.

I bought a little $60 1/2hp 2 gallon HF compressor a few years ago. It's small but runs like a champ....dunno if that info correllates to the bigger one or not.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I personally like the HF oiled compressors. I have 1 pancake and 1 2hp on wheels. They both have been well used for years with no problems. Since most all small compressors are made in china you may as well go with the HF for the dollar.

I've got a vertical one (30 gallon I think) and it works great, just really loud, but I expected that.

I have looked at that same compressor and the main reason that has kept me from pulling the trigger on it is the 115psi rating. I'm certainly no expert when it comes to compressors but it just seems to me that with a top psi rating of 115 it would be cycling all the time.

I bought the 60 gallon 3hp model for $340 with a 20% coupon. Couldn't be happier. Runs anything I need plus lets my use a hvlp gun.

Bob

I didn't check to see if there already IS one, but ...

Some sites/forums have a "Harbor Freight Gems" thread ... or sticky.

I find it HUGELY useful to see which HF things others have had GREAT experiences with, and -- obviously -- which things have been utter disasters.

Just a thought....

I had one of those compressors and used it for everything, including HVLP spray guns. It's noisy but I used it in my garage so it was kinda outside. I sold it when I got a great deal on a 6hp, 60gal from a friend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Mine is about 4 or 5 yrs old and it is DOA. Went to use it and its not working. Lowes has got a PC that looks very heavy duty.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    I personally like the HF oiled compressors. I have 1 pancake and 1 2hp on wheels. They both have been well used for years with no problems. Since most all small compressors are made in china you may as well go with the HF for the dollar.

I too like the oiled compressors. I have one as well as one of my friends and they work fine. I've had mine for 6 or 7 years now. Still works great. Its a little loud but not horrible. A couple other friends bought the non-oiled compressors and they didn't last long at all. They just won't build pressure very fast or keep it... basically they run all the time while the power is on.