Thread: Cherry crotch bowl & Small wood gloat

Cherry crotch bowl & Small wood gloat

Cherry crotch bowl 8"w by 3"t roughed to a finish cut.
    The 1st photo came from a 7 acre plot of land (last photo)
    that the guy would like to clear and its about 70% Cherry.
    I can cut and take any thing on the lot.
    Whats that song maybe you older guys know it I'm in heaven!!
    come on sing it with me I'm in heaven!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eric Kosanovich; 03-13-2010 at 8:19 AM.

If you don't have one of those 5 gallon pails of anchorseal its time to get one! Lucky you!

Baxter,
    Yes i have a lot of blanks cut with nothing on them.
    Just trying to get it cut up before you find it LOL.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fantastic, You have found heaven on earth!!!!

Eric, there are some real treasures in that pile of wood!! And, looks like a lot more in that plot of land!!

Baxter is right - 5 gallon of Anchorseal would be a good investment for you.

I do have a question - would you do better with the crotch pieces if you made the bottom of the bowl the heartwood where the "feather" of the crotch is most prominent? I notice on this one, the sapwood is in the bottom, which would be a typical bowl setup. But, in doing that I would think you are turning away most of the figure.

Just a thought.

great gloat

Great gloat, Eric! Only I think you oughta at least double Baxter's suggestion.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I do have a question - would you do better with the crotch pieces if you made the bottom of the bowl the heartwood where the "feather" of the crotch is most prominent? I notice on this one, the sapwood is in the bottom, which would be a typical bowl setup. But, in doing that I would think you are turning away most of the figure.
    Yes John, well infact it would only the light in my head did not go on till after i started and it was to late.
    I turned off a really nice looking bowl/plater. the up side is i have one more half.

Nice wood gloat. But, there is another tune, by Rod Stewart.... "Some Guys Have All the Luck" Nice lookin' bowl

I hope you have a hobby... working with that much wood is a full time job

Eric...Nice haul! A caution though. In my experience cherry checks rapidly. I've even had stuff that has been double coated with anchorseal check as if there was nothing on it at all. Try and keep your cut lengths as long as possible unless you are roughing out right away.

Great haul Eric. I agree with Ted if you don't get something on them soon or get them rough turned you may lose a bunch. I have cut cherry blanks and have lost them to cracking before I got all the logs cut. If you can't get to them right away I would leave them in log form and anchorseal the ends. Then if they do crack you can cut 3 or 4 inches of the ends to good wood, cut blanks and seal.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Eric - Congrats on all that Cherry! Just my experience with Cherry so far - you have to seal it as soon as it is cut or it starts to check. I agree with the others - leave it in as long a log form as you can handle and anchorseal every section of the log that had been cut - meaning all the branch areas, endgrain of the truck, etc. Any exposed wood is going to check and that can happen within minutes - depending on temperature at the time you are cutting the wood.

Best of luck with this! Hope you can find some help when it comes time to seal the wood! That's a lot of painting!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice gloat... I'm sure you would anyway, but get that guy that owns the land an original Kosanovich!