Thread: Your thoughts on the Brotherhood of 15" planers

Your thoughts on the Brotherhood of 15" planers

Hello,

I am looking into buying a 15" planer. Upon researching them I have discovered that there are many that appear to be next to identical aside from a few cosmetic changes such as switches and things.
    Yorkcraft, Grizzly, Shop Fox and King to name a few are all making the 15" planer that seems so popular now. I am just interested in heraing opinions on quality, Dust collection etc.

Do any of you have any experiences with these planers? Good or Bad? Likes/Dislikes? I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Blunt; 03-17-2010 at 8:00 PM.

For reliability of customer service,I'd recommend the Grizzly. They are pretty much the same. A machine dealer years ago told me that if you buy 20 milling machines,they'd put any name or paint on them that you asked for.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    I bought this Grizzly used and it's great. As far as dust collection I can run 200 bf or whatever amount through it and I not one spec of wood dust anywhere. If I forget to check the container under the cyclone and it fills up thats another story. I would recommend Grizzly and if you decide on the Grizzly I would get the spiral cutterhead if you can. I got one for my 8" jointer an love it,can't wait to get one for the planer.

If you get one get a Wixy readout for it.......it is very accurate. I wasn't sure I would like it but now I wouldn't do without it.

How I mounted mine.

Good Luck and have fun with whatever you get

JEFF

They come in two basic types. Motor on the top (Delta), and cutterhead moves up and down. Tables remain at the same height, but motor has to be moved out of the way to change knives. Cutter head remains stationary (most other brands), and tables move up and down. Other than that there is very little difference between brands. Pick the color that you like. Even though I chose green ($), I have a Delta.

Jet for me 'cause it was in stock. Other than that......
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I have a 15" Grizzly and it's fine. Way better than my old lunchbox. After planing a couple hundred bf of teak I put a spiral head in it. It will work fine until I can find a vintage Parks, Delta or PM 20" to restore (and find some more room in the shop....)

Jet for the warranty and service, PM if you prefer the Byrd head and the warranty and service.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    For reliability of customer service,I'd recommend the Grizzly. They are pretty much the same. A machine dealer years ago told me that if you buy 20 milling machines,they'd put any name or paint on them that you asked for.
    Wouldn't that be "customer support" since Grizzly doesn't actually service a machine unless you get it back to them? I consider service (in the machine world" where someone comes out and fixes it.

Thank Rockwell for the original design of their 13" RC33 planer of the early '80s. These were produced south-of-the-border, in Brazil by Invicta.

Pick a Chinese planer! What color do you like best? All are just about equal. Probably many different colors come off the same assembly line on different days of the week. Powermatic or General are much more pricy than Grizzly and Shop Fox. You will pay extra for PM *yellow* or Canadien green.

Great value can be found in used planers. 15" 4-posters are light years ahead of the lunchbox variety! Unless they have been out in the rain, or dropped off a truck, cast iron planers are otherwise pretty much bulletproof. Of course, extended heavy use can take it's toll on the drive system.

Hobby users will probably never inflict that level of use. You can look at the planer table to see *how used* the machine really is! If the grinding tool marks are worn away into smoothness, you can assume that machine was used considerably! Even so, if it runs smoothly, without odd metallic clunks or screeches, you will probably enjoy using it without it self-destructing while in your shop. But, what's a bearing set in the long run? Just the inevitable long-term maintainance of any machine!

I have an older Taiwanese Geetech, the same model that is currently available from Sunhill. 15" planers are really a pleasure to use. They don't bog down taking heavy cuts. Best of all, there is no ear splitting scream when you use them. Dust collection is near perfect on these things.

The downside is that changing blades is more of a hassle the first few times that you do it. The blades are much thicker and heavier though, and don't seem to dull as fast.

I don't have any experience with the grizzly but quite a few people seem to like it. I thought about purchasing one but I opted to buy a refurbished Delta DC380 upgraded with a Byrd head which I should have in the next week or two.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Most brands are made in the same factory. Therefore, you're just buying the name, some different knobs, some paint, etc. The best buy, IMHO, is a Grizzly machine... but pop for the SC. You won't regret it.

Someone mentioned on site service... there is not a lot to these planers. If you cannot fix them, take up another hobby or find another job .