Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting the little burl up.

Cutting the little burl up.

I had a friend come by yesterday and he helped me cut the burl up. Here are some picture's of what we got. I got 4 large blanks to be cored in the 16 to 18 inch range and two more tall vase HF blanks that will make HF's in the 12" high range and a ton of small blanks for small bowls. I am going to have a lot of blanks for calls as well. The burl went almost all the way to the center of the tree. I hope to core out a couple of sets this week to start drying.
    Jack
    Here is a picture of the two small blanks just from cutting the end of the tree off so we could roll it over.

Here is a picture of the burl standing up right with the first large burl lobe cut out . We wher careful not to cut into the rest of the burl to save as much of it as possible.

Here is a picture of the blanks spread out over the trailer and my son sealing them with sealer. My friend Sam is in the back ground and we had already loaded 3 or 4 nice chunks of the burl in his truck when this picture was taken.

Here is a close up of what this burl looks like inside.

Wow Jack that is quite the burl. That should make some nice turnings.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

awesome burl, can't wait to see some finished work out of that.
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"

Great burl have fun turning it, what kind of wood?

Beautiful wood Jack! Great marble effect in the grain! Looking forward to seeing some finished turnings!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That's beautiful, Jack. I'm really excited to see what that looks like in all its finished forms.

Wooooowwwww!!!! that's beautiful burl
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Wow!! you hit a jackpot there. You're gonna have some really nice burl & color on those turnings. I'm also really anxious to see some finished turnings. Have fun & be safe.
    Thanks for providing the pics.

Smile

Jack,

Great picture of the cutting up of that Oak burl. You can always, bring any left overs to the next club meeting!

Ted

Color me green with envy!

John

Absolutely beautiful stuff!!

great gloat....

VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!.. That close up picture tells it all. Cannot wait to see a bowl from it.
    Donny

I was all set to ask what kind of wood that is and I see that someone said that it is Oak. I would be pleased to know just how you determined that it is Oak. I even enlarged it here on the screen and still amazed, perhaps there were acorns on the ground and I didn't see them. Certainly a nice haul and like others have said can't wait to see the finished products.

o man this is frickin sweet, I am sooo jealous.