Thread: SN2 chuck wrench

SN2 chuck wrench

Anyone here have trouble using the SN2 chuck wrench with the rounded end with one hand? Thinking of cutting mine off.It is 8mm, just the same size as my Vicmark 100.Or am I missing something> Max

Nope. I find the wrench is easier to get into the hole with the round end. I'm not cutting mine off - NO WAY.

So far no problems. But, I will say I have other round heads that have lost there usefulness quite quickly.

I use a cheap harbor freight wrench. I found the round one to bugger up the hex pattern.

I was thinking about it. It's hard to use the key to pop off the chuck, since it does have that rounded end..... I see no benefit from the rounded end, but I could also be missing the "big picture". Perhaps there is a techincal reason for it? Too much stress on the hex if you use the key to pry off the chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I was thinking about it. It's hard to use the key to pop off the chuck, since it does have that rounded end..... I see no benefit from the rounded end, but I could also be missing the "big picture". Perhaps there is a techincal reason for it? Too much stress on the hex if you use the key to pry off the chuck?
    The rounded head allows the wrench to be used at angles other than 90. It swivels a bit to adjust to the angle of the chuck. Really the only reason for the round head.

7. one hand operation while holding a blank to mount it

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubl View Post
    The rounded head allows the wrench to be used at angles other than 90. It swivels a bit to adjust to the angle of the chuck. Really the only reason for the round head.

Mark has it right.... the rounded end allows for angle as sometimes one handed operations are needed while mounting a blank in the chuck with the other hand.

I think a better way to remove the chuck would be to use wrenches instead of the allen key. My opinion is that one is asking for a breakage if just using the key. Teknatool makes a wrench just for this purpose, and I just use a large combination wrench with the indexing pin put in the correct hole to lock the spindle.

You should be using the Nova wrench on the insert hex to remove the chuck instead of prying on the key. That's probably how some people strip out the hex. It's pretty much impossible to strip the hex if used properly.