Thread: Motor Lockup

Motor Lockup

Hey all,
    I am pretty sure this motor is fragged but I just thought I would throw this out for other opinions.

Have a 4HP 1PH 220 motor. Thing ran all day today, not overloaded or over worked. Finished a small run, shut down. Come back a half hour or so later, hit the switch, big hummm, a blade quiver (forward/reverse shiver) and pow, breaker pops.

Reset the breaker a couple times, no change. Blew the motor out with air, no change. Spins free by hand but even spinning several times it will not spin up. Just the hum and breaker trips.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Hey all,
    I am pretty sure this motor is fragged but I just thought I would throw this out for other opinions.

Have a 4HP 1PH 220 motor. Thing ran all day today, not overloaded or over worked. Finished a small run, shut down. Come back a half hour or so later, hit the switch, big hummm, a blade quiver (forward/reverse shiver) and pow, breaker pops.

Reset the breaker a couple times, no change. Blew the motor out with air, no change. Spins free by hand but even spinning several times it will not spin up. Just the hum and breaker trips.

Mark
    I can't help you with your problem, but I do have a little advice.

I had a similar problem with my saw once. I kept trying to see if it would kick on. In doing so I turned a thousand dollar motor rewind into a thousand dollar motor rewind an $500 dollars worth of starter replacement.

Thanks for the heads up Johnny. I only tried the motor three time. First breaker pop I spun the blade by hand a couple rev's then quick on/off of the switch with no startup (no breaker trip). Then blew the motor out with air and quick on/off still no startup and no breaker trip.

I have had a couple similar motor failures in the past however in the past the first few times the motor wouldnt start a few taps on the motor/starter would get it to fire. This one just seems kaput.

Mark

It sounds like the starting winding isn't energized.

It could be a failed capacitor, centrifugal switch, broken or loose wire or a failed start winding (least likely).

4HP is an unusual size, what machine is it on?

Regards, Rod.

Sounds like a problem I had a few weeks ago. I was told it was the capacitor, it was replaced, still hummed and the blade still jerked forward
    & reverse. Took the motor apart, cleaned out the dust, cleaned the contacts on the centrifugal switch, and now runs great. Steve.

Rod, I used to have a Felder combo machine and all four motors were 4 HP, single phase.

Mark

Motor starting

I had two brand new motors on my drill press that acted that way. (replaced by the mfg) I later checked them out and found the centrifigal switch for the starting caps not closing properly. Careful bending of the switch mounts and monitoring with an ohmmeter while it is apart will fix that problem.

8. Re: Motor Lockup

I had the same issue. It was the centrifugal switch which engages extra windings to get the motor running. Here is a link to the supplier of replacement parts I used. $20 to do the job and they sent the part out the same morning I faxed the request.
    http://www.torq.com/replacement.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Major View Post
    Rod, I used to have a Felder combo machine and all four motors were 4 HP, single phase.

Mark
    Hi, I have Hammer stuff and they have the same motor, that's why I was curious.

Since they don't use a centrifugal switch you have to hold the start button long enough for the motor to come up to speed...Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Hey all,

Mark
    Mark, what is the machine?

Regards, Rod.