Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Large Shoulder Plane

Best Large Shoulder Plane

Following Brian's posts on best smoothers, jack, joiner planes, what would be your best large shoulder plane? I need to get one for an upcoming fancy chairmaking class and I would like to know your thoughts.

Jim

Question, if you don't mind. Why a large shoulder plane? Few tenons have shoulders that are really large. And for trimming a tenon, itself, (not the shoulder) a wide rabbet plane works well (example: the LN 60 1/2R), or just a wide chisel.

I have the LV medium shoulder plane and don't find I ever need something larger.

I had a big Record shoulder plane one time but found it too big to handle easily and sold it. That's when I bought the LV.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Best medium to large shoulder plane

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have the LV medium shoulder plane and don't find I ever need something larger.

Heard you Mike and a good comment too. I will actually need a couple sizes of adjustable shoulder planes so I'll add your recommendation of LV medium shoulder plane to the list of best medium to large shoulder planes. Unfortunately, the medium sized one that I have now, a Stanley 92, doesn't work well for me. The LV medium shoulder plane is probably far superior in that size range especially for heft and overall quality. Hopefully, I hear more about that. For now I want to be open to either the medium or the large shoulder plane.

Regards,
    Jim

Another nod for the LV medium shoulder plane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Paulson View Post
    Unfortunately, the medium sized one that I have now, a Stanley 92, doesn't work well for me. The LV medium shoulder plane is probably far superior in that size range especially for heft and overall quality. Hopefully, I hear more about that. For now I want to be open to either the medium or the large shoulder plane.

Regards,
    Jim
    Jim,

You do not mention why the 92 does not work well, the only advice for me to offer is this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119301

If you have a problem that is not addressed in the thread, let me know and I will try to add more to the thread. Be sure to read to the end as Steve Swantee added a bit of information that may be the same problem as your plane has.

As far as which shoulder plane to suggest, my only recommendation is to give the planes a hands on test before purchasing. The Stanley shoulder planes are not very ergonomic.

I haven not had an opportunity to handle the LV planes. They do look to have been developed to fit the user's hands.

jim
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-13-2010 at 1:30 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am not qualified for an opinion on this one yet, but I do have some info on the lower side of the scale. Early on I had two attempts at a cheap shoulder or rabbet plane.

First failure - Anant Bullnose Rabbet plane. I have ground off about a pound of steel trying to get this little thing to work. It can now be used, but without singing, dancing or joy. Conclusion - not worth the money or time, but I won't throw it away until I have something better.

Second Failure - Rosewood 1" Rabbet plane. Could never get it to work and finally traded it for a Stanley #3 plane body, with a warning that it never worked right.

Then my sister got me an Ebony Mujingfang Rabbet Plane for $27. It actually works. I still need a top quality shoulder plane (I will get the LV Medium Shoulder Plane because of reviews and trying it at woodworking shows) but this is usable for now.

So I have no "My Best Shoulder Plane", just a "Your Pretty Decent Shoulder Plane for Now".
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Just acquired a low mileage LV Medium Shoulder Plane. A VERY nicely made product that works wonderfully.
    Maurice

What about LN?

So far this looks like a LV crowd, not that there is anything wrong with that. But heh what about a LN medium shoulder plane? or can someone speak to even the less adjustable styles, i.e. HNT Gordon, or something else?

Thanks Jim on that suggestion about the previous threads on the 92. I've found it to hard on my hands to say the least. I personallly favor a bigger plane, but tweating it well maybe that would help too. I bought it new years ago and have kept it sharp, but who knows.

The NWA showcase is Palm Sunday weekend in Saratoga Springs, I'd love to see the LV and LN shoulder planes and compare them. Tough weekend to get there for me anyway.

Jim

The LV medium & large shoulder planes are my top choice. They are well made and have good ergonomics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Paulson View Post
    So far this looks like a LV crowd, not that there is anything wrong with that. But heh what about a LN medium shoulder plane? or can someone speak to even the less adjustable styles, i.e. HNT Gordon, or something else?
    I have (and use) all 4 of the L-N shoulder planes. I've tried the LV medium shoulder but passed it up, primarily because I find them ugly. The L-N works extremely well - it's a souped-up copy of the clifton, and before that, the Preston design. For large-scale work, I prefer a #7 Norris with a 1-1/2 sole, but that's a considerably more expensive plane than any of the L-N or LV offerings.

I prefer the Lie Nielson over the Lee Valley because of the ability to skew the blade to take an even cut. With the Lee Valley I think the set screws would be a PIA unless the blade is 100% square, and that does not happen often with my sharpening skills. I have however not used a LV so correct me if I am mistaken.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Buchanan View Post
    I prefer the Lie Nielson over the Lee Valley because of the ability to skew the blade to take an even cut. With the Lee Valley I think the set screws would be a PIA unless the blade is 100% square, and that does not happen often with my sharpening skills. I have however not used a LV so correct me if I am mistaken.

Mark
    You can laterally adjust the blade on the LV a small amount (as is true on any shoulder plane). The set screws keep the blade adjusted side to side in the mouth. Of course, if you don't like the set screws, you can back them out and not use them.

I don't have a lot of problem sharpening a shoulder plane blade square, but I do use a jig.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Record 072 for me. Nice mass, good blade, accurately ground, easy to adjust. I also like my 042 for smaller work.
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Then my sister got me an Ebony Mujingfang Rabbet Plane for $27. It actually works. I still need a top quality shoulder plane (I will get the LV Medium Shoulder Plane because of reviews and trying it at woodworking shows) but this is usable for now.
    Brian,

Is this the one you have? The description doesn't say it's a Mujingfang, but it's about the same price: http://www.woodline.com/p-2397-ebony...ing-plane.aspx

This is kind of pretty - anyone tried it? http://www.woodline.com/p-2396-curved-rabbet-plane.aspx Looks like a lower angle, so maybe more appropriate to use as a shoulder plane than the first one.

Thanks,
    Jim

Yes, thats the one. I tried both of them at the Woodline booth at a show, and liked them both. It was random which to buy first. I would not mind having both.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!