Thread: Jointer purchase question (used)

Jointer purchase question (used)

I have a line on a "G0609 12" Parallelogram Jointer". Says 1 year old and looks in good shape (pictures). Honestly 12" is a bit big for my garage shop but for 12" i think ill cram it in there.

Opinions I wanted to know was
    1. Good price? $1,895.00 new selling for $800
    2. To big?
    3. What should I look for damage wise when inspecting?
    4. What should I take with me to inspect it? So far I have strait edge.

Thanks guys for extra insight.

that is a good price.

why is this jointer being sold?
    Vortex! What Vortex?

That is a very good price. Seems suspicious - the jointer is worth much more than that.

Not much can go wrong with a jointer. Make sure the tables are flat (<0.01" variation overall) and it looks in good overall condition. Also check fence flat-ness. Anything else would not cost much to fix.

If the the tables are flat and coplaner and the fence is flat then you have a decent deal. And believe me that the 12" table size will be a very welcomed addition to your shop, you'll be glad that it's 12. And make sure it runs ok as the price does seem a tad low.

Heck Of A PRICE! $800! WOW! Wish I was in the neighborhood!

Sometimes its NOT too good to be true--folks just want a quick sale for FAST CASH! I just bought a Woodmaster 3820 double drum sander in VG condition for $1200! Most go for $2500 or more!

Ask the seller point blank why he's selling. Ask if any problems with the machine. If possible, see it run, and push some wood through it to see how it cuts.

Look for cracked cast iron; obvious damage. Unnecessary vibration or noises. (bearings, or even the motor, can be replaced) Put a straightedge on the tables and fence. Check for warp. Most of all, HURRY! Good Luck!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 03-15-2010 at 3:26 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Josh,

In addition to a straight edge, bring along a couple of boards, maybe 4' long, to see if the machine is accurate enough to make a close fitting edge joint.

Chip is right. GREAT bargains are certainly out there, especially these days.

Take a couple of boards for test cuts, as mentioned already, and take $800.00 with you, FAST!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Just let me know where you are at and I will be there shortly with my truck to pick it up. I would put that in my shop in a heartbeat!!!!
    Chuck