View Poll Results: What type wood screws do you use?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phillips

35 16.43%
  • Square Drive

166 77.93%
  • Other

12 5.63%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phillips or Square Drive Screws

Blog Entries

Phillips or Square Drive Screws

I am rearranging my shop and looking at screw storage and am also runnig low on screws. So the questions arises, after looking at McFeely's, do you use Phillips or Square Drive Screws?

Both, plus even slotted screws on occassion.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I personally have become a big fan of Torx head screws. It is all that I buy anymore. I just got tired of stripping out the Phillips. Squares are nice but still strip out more than Torx. I can put them in and pull them out anytime.
    Chuck

Let's see: Phillips, square, Torx, & slotted.

Robertson all the way!

In fact, I often discard the phillips screws that get included with hardware or other items, and substitute robertson screws that I have purchased.

...art

ps: similar poll back in 2006 was 51% in favour of Robertson.
    and also back in 2005 which had 70% preferring Robertson.
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 03-15-2010 at 4:01 PM. Reason: dug up old links...
    "It's Not About You."

Blog Entries
    I can't answer your survey because I use both. I prefer Philips over slotted and use square drive when I have a lot of screws to put in with a power driver.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I prefer rounded-off philips...much more challenging tightening them and loosening them....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I prefer rounded-off philips...much more challenging tightening them and loosening them....
    Gotta love the wise guy!!! I think there is another term for that too.. I think that you as a moderator would ban me from the site as well...
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    Gotta love the wise guy!!! I think there is another term for that too.. I think that you as a moderator would ban me from the site as well...
    You have the perfect attitude to be a mod, Chuck! hahaha

Anyway, back on topic:

I'm with Lee: I use both but I do have more screws with Philips than Square. All my pocket screws are square and some wood screws I have can take both drives.

Torx for almost everything but faceframe screws. I don't even know why phillips is still available.

I buy phillips when ever possible, because I have phillips bit everywhere that is not the case with square drive. Personally I like torx the best, but they are expensive and I am too cheap to stock up on bits.

Mcfeely's makes nice screws personally I wish they weren't square. I honestly don't believe square are any better as far a stripping goes. Torx are better, but I don't think square are. What I do like about square is you can put the bit in the screw and it will stay attached with out holding the 2 together, unlike a phillips.

How is Robertson different from square drive?

Or is this just the Canadians taking a swipe at us down south for being so..... all feet and inches?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Blog Entries
    Square whenever possible. Phillips and slot screws are only used when decorative; usually brass. I keep steel screws that are the same size as the decorative brass ones to pre-thread the holes to avoid breaking the soft brass screws.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I stock square/philips combo, used with a square driver. I have never stripped a square drive or combo with a square bit. I primarily use screws where the user might want to loosen/tighten/adjust, and nobody seems to have a square driver, but everyone has a Philips. Whether they will succeed with a Philips driver or not is their problem, but they are happy.