Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JessEm Tools customer service

JessEm Tools customer service

I bought a JessEm router table a couple of years ago but have never used it. It's just been sitting out in my heated shop. But today was the day! Or it was supposed to be. As I was getting ready to set it up, I noticed that the clear plastic dust-collection housing in back had broken, and since I've never used the thing, this could only be due to a design defect or a material defect--or both. I went to the JessEm website (where I was glad to see that they "stand behind their products 100%"), and called their customer service line. The person I spoke to curtly told me that it was going to cost me $9.95 plus shipping.

I spent over $500 on that router table, and now they want to nickel and dime me for a part that never should have broken in the first place.

JessEm? Never again.

On a brighter note: Lee Valley Tools. They are at the other end of the spectrum in terms of quality and customer service.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. You sure something didn't fall on it?

It's one thing to claim defect, its another to try n get someone else to pay for your mistakes - i know it's the *new* american way!

Nope, nothing has fallen on it. Not a mark on it.

I think for us "buy it but don't use it for a while folks", we may have to bit the bullet on such things now and then. I have to deal with this all the time but I accept that half the time, I'll have to fork out regardless of the fault....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

It's not the 10 or 20 bucks. It's the principle. Also, there's that nonsense on their website about "standing behind" their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I think for us "buy it but don't use it for a while folks", we may have to bit the bullet on such things now and then. I have to deal with this all the time but I accept that half the time, I'll have to fork out regardless of the fault....

One word, Woodpeckers

After looking at the pic. I have to ask if you inspected it when you bought it. I know of some other tools that had problems with plastic breaking during shipping because of the cold and rough shippers. It cost me more than 9.95 and shipping. That's for sure. Jessem has indeed stood behind their product that I have bought and I would still buy their products.

I agree! I have a bunch of their layout tools, and they're outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    One word, Woodpeckers

It was fine when I originally put it together. Look at the photo: it's either a material defect or design defect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    After looking at the pic. I have to ask if you inspected it when you bought it. I know of some other tools that had problems with plastic breaking during shipping because of the cold and rough shippers. It cost me more than 9.95 and shipping. That's for sure. Jessem has indeed stood behind their product that I have bought and I would still buy their products.

Sorry to say but you have had it a couple of years things happen let it go

You bought this product, neglected to inspect it as you unpacked it, put it in your shop, let two years go by and expect a broken part to be replaced for free? Call me crazy but that seems incredibly unreasonable regardless of the nature of the problem.

I have no experience in dealing with JessEm, but I'm confident that if you'd have called them shortly after the product was purchased you'd be getting their cooperation.
    Last edited by Aaron Wingert; 03-15-2010 at 4:56 PM.

I will indeed let it go. I'll probably sell it. I posted this because I think people on this website deserve to know how some companies treat their customers. JessEm is at the bottom on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Noterman View Post
    Sorry to say but you have had it a couple of years things happen let it go

Your fault Your fault. Next time open the box and look at it. Sorry but you hit my intollerance to whining button.

Not whining. The dust collection port was fine when I opened it and set up the table. In the interim, it broke. It shouldn't have. (I have a similar button.

Quote Originally Posted by brian barnum View Post
    Your fault Your fault. Next time open the box and look at it. Sorry but you hit my intollerance to whining button.

JD

I understand your frustration but I have to agree that $10 after waiting 2 years to use the product is a small price to pay. Think of any other product you purchase in the non-woodworking world. Would you expect many of those manufacturers to honor your request for a free repair/replacement part two years after you bought it?

Just doesn't seem reasonable to me.

-Mike