Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JessEm Tools customer service

I've called Jessem once regarding my mitre gauge (which I love) and found them quite responsive. Of course, that didn't require any repair or replacement parts.

I do agree with many of the others: your expectation of a free replacement after 2 years is unreasonable, and the title of the post is unfair.

I think that they have a great product and two years is simply too long to expect anything else... I think Helen Keller could have seen if the piece was broken during the initial set up... I know around my place, things get break mysteriously... If you don't want the table, I'll take it...

So let's say the OP had been using the product routinely for two years and the part broke from normal use. I would expect a quality company to replace the part gratis. It's not a part subject to maintenance and replacement. What does it matter that it hadn't been put to work for two years. I'll bet Lee Valley would simply send the replacement part.

I don't think you should be so quick to rush to judgment on their customer service. I have a Jessem Router lift that I had not unpacked for several months before I realized that some of the mounting screws were missing. Jessem sent them to me free of charge after one phone call. I agree with the others who think it's a little unreasonable to expect them to replace a part that broke after being unpacked and set up. Under those circumstances, it seems more likely from their perspective to be user error than a defective product.

Of course, some companies do offer a "lifetime guarantee" on their tools, and I would expect these tools to be repaired or replaced even if damage resulted from wear and tear. Ideal tools has replaced a screwdriver I broke after a little use under their lifetime guarantee and I would have been upset if they didn't. Some people swear by Craftsman hand tools for this sort of guarantee. I wouldn't have these same expectations with other tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Sperr View Post
    Of course, some companies do offer a "lifetime guarantee" on their tools, and I would expect these tools to be repaired or replaced even if damage resulted from wear and tear. Ideal tools has replaced a screwdriver I broke after a little use under their lifetime guarantee and I would have been upset if they didn't. Some people swear by Craftsman hand tools for this sort of guarantee. I wouldn't have these same expectations with other tools.
    And you have found the reason why I like kobalt tools. I dropped a tape measure out of my tool pouch and it fell 3 stories onto a boulder, brought in the pieces and they said that they were fine with replacing it, they would be sending it in to their r&d so they could make it better in the future. That single experience has kept me buying their tools. Especially with items which have a finite life such as tape measures, having a lifetime warranty with on the spot exchange is a big plus for me.

2 years ago I bought some cheese but forgot to open it. Last weekend I opened up the fridge drawer to find a block of some green stuff. I know nuthin spilled on it, cuz it was safely tucked away in the back of the drawer. Imagine my frustration when the store refused to give me a refund for this defective cheese.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    2 years ago I bought some cheese but forgot to open it. Last weekend I opened up the fridge drawer to find a block of some green stuff. I know nuthin spilled on it, cuz it was safely tucked away in the back of the drawer. Imagine my frustration when the store refused to give me a refund for this defective cheese.

(*shakes head in frustration*)

That would make sense, if the plastic piece that broke had an expected lifespan, like the cheese. The OP's point is that the broken piece should have a long lifespan, even if being used. He wasn't even using it, and it broke. Thus, a design defect!

Here's an analogy that actually makes sense: 2 years ago I bought a set of tupperware containers to store my green cheese in. I left them on a shelf untouched, and 2 years later the plastic had broken down and they all had cracks in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post
    So let's say the OP had been using the product routinely for two years and the part broke from normal use. I would expect a quality company to replace the part gratis. It's not a part subject to maintenance and replacement. What does it matter that it hadn't been put to work for two years. I'll bet Lee Valley would simply send the replacement part.
    I expect a company to replace defective merchandise for free, only for the duration of the warranty. If a company does replace a broken part for free after the warranty period has expired, that's great. But, should I expect them to do that? Certainly not, even if I've never used the product in question. To expect otherwise is totally unrealistic, IMHO.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I actually did something similar, only more foolish than your scenario. Upon returning from the grocery store I put a package of fresh mushrooms in the pantry with the canned goods.

For weeks I puzzled over those mushrooms. Where are they?! After a month or so I finally discovered them one day while retrieving something from the pantry. It was a miracle, I had mushroom soup!

Fortunately, the plastic wrap covering the container was still very well sealed!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    I expect a company to replace defective merchandise for free, only for the duration of the warranty. If a company does replace a broken part for free after the warranty period has expired, that's great. But, should I expect them to do that? Certainly not, even if I've never used the product in question. To expect otherwise is totally unrealistic, IMHO.
    That is the expressed warranty period and that is all anyone should expect most companies to provide free replacement parts. Extraordinary companies would see that there is long-term goodwill in replacing minor parts for periods longer than the expressed warranty.

Just cut off the green stuff; it goes great with whine.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Shnitka View Post
    Mr. Dolan,
    I agree with you.
    Successful companies keep their customers.

1. The customer may not be right, but the customer is never to be made to feel they are wrong.
    2. Always try to find a way to say yes to the customer.
    3. All employees are to take ownership of the the company. Make the decision to keep the customer coming back.
    4. Treat people the way you would expect to be treated.

These four principles are the guide lines for some of the most successful and largest retailers in North America excluding Walmart and their equivalents.
    You should work at Walmart for a while. Pay employes a low wage threat them all like crap and put American manufacturing out of buisness. Walmart just like working in a third world country right here at home. Walmart customer service died with Sam Walton.

Looks like it was cold bent. If it's polycarbonate, exposure to solvents can cause cracking under stress, even though it's impervious to them otherwise. I don't know if vapor would be an issue, although long term exposure would probably have some effect.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World

Quit

JEFF

I have the same Lift and the same thing happened. This is the only problem I have had with this set up ever. My fix was to remove the existing broken piece and use it as a template to cut a new one, the plastic case that saw blades come packed in work perfectly.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images