Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JessEm Tools customer service

It seems to me this isn't really that big of a deal. Are they just asking you to cover shipping of the replacement piece? I won't call that grounds to slime them on the interent.

And it is a little hard to tell what's going on in the picture to be honest. I don't have the item in question so I have no reference for what it's supposed to look like.

I agree with the consensus, here:

I bought a JessEm router table a couple of years ago but have never used it.
    That's a (ridiculously) LONG time to wait for ANY kind of warranty claim, IMO.

A company that DID send you the replacement part, for free -- in my book -- would have been going WAY out of their way to offer you exceptional customer service.

I think you're being unfair to JessEm, and/or had pretty unreasonable expectations, to begin with.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Looks like the OP says it was $9.95 plus shipping. That said, I think he is unreasonable.

Some of you seemed to misread the OP. He said it wasn't broken originally, but after sitting UNTOUCHED for 2 years, it broke ON IT'S OWN. I would agree entirely with him that it makes it a design problem (that plastic piece shouldn't have been bent so far), or a material problem (the plastic should have been able to withstand such a bend).

Get a piece of .060 mylar, cut it to size, and use a hair drier to help bend it around the corner. Problem fixed.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The offered to replace my entire table when it got chipped installing a Mast-R-Lift. I decided that I'd rather live with a small chip than reinstall everything. I am quite pleased with their CS.

The problems in the past have been that people could not get customer service, so it looks like they are getting better.

The last email I got from Darrin E. Smith, the president was they have now hired a new full time person to handle customer service.

On this problem, the OP got customer service but was not happy with the out come. To me I think it was fair, the unit set for 2 years. I have that same fence for my table and never have had a problem with the vacuum port.
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 03-15-2010 at 8:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Dolan View Post
    I bought a JessEm router table a couple of years ago but have never used it. It's just been sitting out in my heated shop. But today was the day! Or it was supposed to be. As I was getting ready to set it up, I noticed that the clear plastic dust-collection housing in back had broken, and since I've never used the thing, this could only be due to a design defect or a material defect--or both. I went to the JessEm website (where I was glad to see that they "stand behind their products 100%"), and called their customer service line. The person I spoke to curtly told me that it was going to cost me $9.95 plus shipping.

I spent over $500 on that router table, and now they want to nickel and dime me for a part that never should have broken in the first place.

JessEm? Never again.

On a brighter note: Lee Valley Tools. They are at the other end of the spectrum in terms of quality and customer service.
    I'll have to disagee with you. I bought a roputer table and did the same thing. Left it in the box for 2-3 years. When I finally put it together, I discovered that the 3HP HP router I bought for it wouldn't fit in the ring.

In fact, it pivoted at two different places.

I took careful pictures and they replaced it for me with a newer designed model. Been working like a champ and that was 1.5 years ago.

JessEm has been good to me.

Just out of curiosity, wasn't there a warranty enclosed in the box?

If so what was it, one year?

I tend to agree with the majority on this one. Customer Service people hear all kinds of stories. It's natural for some CS people to be skeptical.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

The problem a company has is everyone who calls with a problem will try to come up with a story to get a damaged part replaced for free. I work in retail and everyone who returning something without a receipt uses the old "I got this as a gift" story. I am not saying this is your case but if customer spend high $$$$ for a router table and says "I purchased it two years ago but just now got to use it" Would make me wonder. If I purchase anything, I am checking on-line to see when it will arrive. Have the box torn open before the truck left the drive.

If the company did decide to replace it I would say "Fantastic customer service" But since they did not after two years does not justify Bad customer service. IMHO
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Sour Grapes after two years makes for Bad Whine! *He who hesitates is lost!

In all fairness to you, I can see where the clear plastic piece may be involved in a design defect. Brittle clear plastic does not bend particularly well unless heated. The piece in question may have been *bent* on destruction from the gitgo!

In all fairness to JessEm, you waited too long to complain! But, take them up on the availability of an updated part to complete your *new/old* router table. At least you will be getting a black plastic moulded part. Chalk this episode up to experience and enjoy your table and fence! JessEm makes some FINE stuff!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 03-15-2010 at 11:27 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Mr. Dolan,
    I agree with you.
    Successful companies keep their customers.

1. The customer may not be right, but the customer is never to be made to feel they are wrong.
    2. Always try to find a way to say yes to the customer.
    3. All employees are to take ownership of the the company. Make the decision to keep the customer coming back.
    4. Treat people the way you would expect to be treated.

These four principles are the guide lines for some of the most successful and largest retailers in North America excluding Walmart and their equivalents.

Did you discuss you disatisfaction with having to pay for it with them and ask if there was some sort of agreement you could come to (maybe free shipping or just paying for shipping)?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I would agree that two years is a long time to have something prior to requesting damage replacement, but in my opinion, the request is not unreasonable. I would also suggest that while JessEm may be technically off the hook, they are only shooting themselves in the foot by not honoring the request. If the table were warped and he asked for a replacement, I would say "tough luck", but to alienate a customer over ten bucks is really not very smart from a business standpoint.

$0.03 + free shipping:

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.