Thread: Mountain Dulcimer

Mountain Dulcimer

Here is a mountain dulcimer I made for my wife. We were in a dulcimer shop and I (being some what of a smartass) said, "I can make that".

I knew nothing about music or instuments. I now know a little more about each. Years ago, I saw an article in Fine Woodworking about making a guitar. That was a little ambitious, so the dulcimer was a good place to start.

It's easy to play, but I wouldn't say I play well. Maybe I will learn how to play Smoke OnThe Water ;-)

The fret board is walnut and the rest cherry. I puchased all "non-wood" components at a local business that caters to Bluegrass musicians. (And future musicians)

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

I grew up listening to bluegrass so this kind of thing is great!

Be sure and record Smoke on the Water when you get there, having a hard time picturing it on a dulcimer

I believe I saw this elsewhere and commented Bill. Again loved the comment you made about "dualing banjo's".. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Nice one, I've made several Cigar Box Guitars and a strumstick. Haven't done a dulcimer yet but I well eventually. I can't play anything but I love to build.

Have you checked out Cigar Box Nation? Lots of info there.

Thanks for the info about Cigar Box Nation. Might have to make me a banjo!

Bill

Nice work on the dulcimer, Bill. They are kind of neat to play with, though building one might be even more fun.

I have one of curly maple made by Homer Ledford, now deceased. Homer gained some fame regionally here in KY for instrument making. I was always intrigued by Homer's methods, and often thought making a dulcimer would be a neat project.

Bill,

Nice dulcimer! I have one I built in 1973 IIRC...it's in Idaho and I'm currently in Houston or I'd look at the tag I glued inside it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Willard Foster View Post
    Here is a mountain dulcimer I made for my wife. We were in a dulcimer shop and I (being some what of a smartass) said, "I can make that".

Bill
    Saying just THAT has gotten me in more trouble than I can count. My project list is VERY long!!!

Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Nice work on the dulcimer, Bill. They are kind of neat to play with, though building one might be even more fun.

I have one of curly maple made by Homer Ledford, now deceased. Homer gained some fame regionally here in KY for instrument making. I was always intrigued by Homer's methods, and often thought making a dulcimer would be a neat project.
    Indeed, Homer Ledford was a well known old time instrument maker. His reputation stretched beyond Kentucky, too!

Nice job on your dulcimer Willard. Keep 'em coming!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"