Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can it be saved?

Can it be saved?

I am looking at this tablesaw (Ridgid 3650) and might get a good price. Only problem is it has been sitting in the guys garage and the whole table face has surface rust on it. Not prominent pitting, but definitely has a feel to it.

Question is, Can it be saved and is it even worth messing with? The pics aren't great (phone camera).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't bother with WD-40. It isn't for rust.
    With that said, I would make a paste of Bar Keepers Friend and water or PB Blaster. Scrub it in real good, rinse with water and dry it off. Repeat if needed.
    Do it outside or in a well ventilated area. It is oxalic acid. Wear rubber gloves.
    Get it all off with alcohol and glop on a good layer of furniture paste wax. Nothing with silicon. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to melt it in, and buff it up.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

That looks pretty superficial from the pics.

Personally, I use WD-40 all the time to remove rust. It works pretty dang good for not being meant for it.

Vinegar is also a good rust remover being a weak acid.

And then there's the time-honored, most effective method...elbow grease.

Seriously, I'd consider wetting it down with vinegar and wiping clean after it has soaked for a few minutes. Repeat until it's ineffective then spray it down with WD-40 and go at it with 220 grit sandpaper on a sanding block or even a ROS if you don't mind replacing the pad.

When the rust is gone, wipe it down with mineral spirits, let dry and apply a wax. I use Johnston Paste wax and you can get it at the Borg or even the grocery store. No need to apply multiple coats of wax because each one dissolves the previous one.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I guess my concern is that I can feel a little pitting, but it's not much. I'm just afraid I'll start on it and end up cupping it or something trying to get the rust all out.

Also, for a 3650, what would be a fair price? He's really not bending at $350, but I have to think in it's condition its not worth that.

Its alot of elbow grease. weigh that against a new saw

i had a similar rust condition and used several methods described above. No one method is enough, it usually takes several. Good Luck!

There is no reason to try and make it shine like new again. That doesn't make it cut one bit better. Clean it down to bare metal, wax, and use it. Even pitting doesn't affect the cut.
    Ross

So would $350 be too much though? It's about 5 years old, but it still has condition issues I'll have to take care of.

Does it run??

I would want to see it cut wood before thinking anymore about it. Besides the table rust, there might be other "issues" with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    ...Personally, I use WD-40 all the time to remove rust. It works pretty dang good for not being meant for it.

+1 ...and a little elbow grease.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Wellman View Post
    So would $350 be too much though? It's about 5 years old, but it still has condition issues I'll have to take care of.
    For $350 in that condition I would walk. I sold my 3650 for $400 and it was mint.

Steve

Well, of course it depends on what your options are. If you have a budget that can stretch a few hundred more, live in an area where decent table saws come up on CL with some frequency and have or are willing to put in 220v, then you might think about holding out for a used cabinet saw. Alternatively, I just read that you can still order the Ridgid R4511 from Home Depot for $599. If this is true, this would give you a new saw, a riving knife, a good warranty, and decent dust collection. You might find those advantages worth the $250. I think I would.

Is the surface rust the only issue? Do the handles turn smoothly? How do the gears on the trunion look and feel?

If the surface rust is the only issue and if you need a table saw........figure you'll have several hours cleaning it up, do the math and then decide. Really, I don't think that anyone else can honestly tell you if his asking price is too much for you.

I'm with Ross. Making it shiny wouldn't be high on my list. What matters is how well the saw performs.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

That's a terrific saw if you can get it for $300 or less (I had one)! I sold mine after about 4 years for $300 and it was in perfect condition.

Use a scotch-brite pad and mineral spirits to take the rust off. If there's still some rust left on the table after that, use a palm sander and fine grit sandpaper to get it off. Don't worry, you won't hurt the cast-iron. Then coat the top with furniture wax, TopCote or "Slip It."

Jason

I am looking at this tablesaw (Ridgid 3650) and might get a good price. Only problem is it has been sitting in the guys garage and the whole table face has surface rust on it. Not prominent pitting, but definitely has a feel to it.

Question is, Can it be saved and is it even worth messing with? The pics aren't great (phone camera).
    Last edited by Jason White; 03-16-2010 at 7:47 AM.

Talk him down to $250. You can find a TS3650 in much better condition than that one for right around $300.

Jason

I guess my concern is that I can feel a little pitting, but it's not much. I'm just afraid I'll start on it and end up cupping it or something trying to get the rust all out.

Also, for a 3650, what would be a fair price? He's really not bending at $350, but I have to think in it's condition its not worth that.

I sold my 10 year old TS3636 in VERY good condition for $250. Yeah, I could have gotten more, but I was passing on the good deals I got on other machinery. I think $350 is a little steep for the condition. You should be able to get that saw in that condition for $275...if not from him, from someone else.
    I drink, therefore I am.