Thread: My workbench - almost finished

My workbench - almost finished

My workbench is not quite finished, but far enough along that I thought I'd share some pictures.

Almost every single piece of wood is recycled -only the plywood for the cabinet underneath is not.

The oak came from an old transfer station in Fitchburg and the hard rock maple center slab from an old voc school in western, MA. The top finishes about 2" thick. Honestly, for a while I thought I wanted thicker, but this is just right... it's quite heavy enough that this is never going to accidentally move when I'm doing any planing on it (though most of my work is powered). I read through all of the workbench books and they were great at helping me get some of the features that I wanted straightened out...

The front is completely flush so that I can clamp doors and the like to the front. They aren't in yet, but more T-track will be getting installed in the front face of the top as well as the front face of the lower stretcher.

I did add some dog holes to allow me to use the vices for larger pieces, but as you can see, the less common feature I used was T-track. Coming from a metalworking side, everything uses T-channels and clamps.. the clamping is just tons more flexible in my mind. I'm using the Kreg clamping vices that they sell for their clamping table. 2 of the small ones and 2 of the long ones seems to give me pretty much whatever range I need. I machined the ends of the channels so that I can drop the Kreg clamps in place.

Originally, I didn't want the bright blue track that you can find in the woodworking places, so I ordered some T-track from McMaster-Carr... unfortunately, it seems that though it works, the top lip of the track is simply too thin for the clamping forces I like to use and gets slightly deformed.. no breaking (yet), but I expect to replace it with beefier t-track.. The only problem with the beefier t-track that I've found is that: 1.) it's blue.. and 2.) the hole spacing is too small. So I'll have to drill a bunch of holes and deal with the color. Oh well.

The design works great so far... and though it might not be everybody's cup of tea, I like the mixture of maple, red oak and white oak. I regret using a gloss finish though, so that may get sanded off and redone. Live and learn.

I just need to finish the cabinet below and I'll be good to go..

-Chris
    PS. pay no attention to my bungled up dog hole in the CENTER OF THE TABLE... grrr.

Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome design Chris. Basic but yet very functional. I have a bench now that was just a purchased one with drawers underneath and gets the job done. But I am about to build another as an outfeed like this one and I really like the use of the t-track. Have you had any problems with any pieces getting caught or snagged on the t-track while sliding from the saw? That seems to be the only thing I have been worried about with the t-track system going across the table in the side to side direction.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Nice job Chris,
    You have given new life to these materials. By the way your shop is to clean

Chris,

First THANKS for posting. I am giving thought to a bench of my own. You have given me some great ideas. That is just what I wanted. Basic, strong, recycled, and very well done with fit and finish.

Well done, Sir!!!

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Very nice bench. Now, if only you had another slab like that one that some else could buy from you to make their own...

Wish mine were that nice... seriously...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    Awesome design Chris. Basic but yet very functional. I have a bench now that was just a purchased one with drawers underneath and gets the job done. But I am about to build another as an outfeed like this one and I really like the use of the t-track. Have you had any problems with any pieces getting caught or snagged on the t-track while sliding from the saw? That seems to be the only thing I have been worried about with the t-track system going across the table in the side to side direction.
    Hi Joe,

Haven't had any problem with that yet, though admittedly, I haven't been using it for long. The T-track is probably recessed about .020-.030" below the benchtop and the edges are ever so slightly rounded... if that helps.

-Chris

Blog Entries
    Very nice. Not sure what the track thickness you are using is but this is supposed to be "heavy duty" and not blue ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Great Bench

Great design and I'm sure a lot more thought went into this than most of us would imagine.
    I also like the high gloss finish.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    Great design and I'm sure a lot more thought went into this than most of us would imagine.
    I also like the high gloss finish.
    I guess what surprised me was trying to make sure I accounted for where I would want clamps. Right now, I can get clamps underneath the front and side edges of the bench as well as behind the front posts. I suppose the back edge, too, if I pulled it away from the table saw. In most designs with a cabinet below, you don't get that kind of flexibility.

Having the front fully flush makes it much easier to clamp longer, larger boards to the bench to work on their edges.

Thinking those kinds of details through and then executing is more of a puzzle than I gave it credit for when I started.

I'm really happy with my decision to use T-Tracks, though... I think our ancestors would have used them if metallurgy and extrusions were available, so I chuckle when we (yes, I am in this category) get lost(stuck?) in designing our stuff around very traditional designs. I think this is a decent blend of traditional design with an integration of slightly more modern clamping technologies that really help its overall usefullness.

-Chris

Chrsi, nice job. Kinda reminds me of a DIY MFT. Complete with systainer storage underneath!

Chris,

You did a great job on that bench! I'm mid-build on my bench and seeing the T-track in your bench, that just makes a lot of sense. And I really like how you backed the bench up to the saw and outfeed. It's causing me to rethink how I'm arranging my bench and saw...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bruno View Post
    ... Right now, I can get clamps underneath the front and side edges of the bench as well as behind the front posts. I suppose the back edge, too, if I pulled it away from the table saw..
    Funny you made that comment. I was thinking over lunch whether by chance that short outfeed is hinged or not to drop and allow access to the back edge of the bench.

Congrats on some fine work!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Chris,
    Funny you made that comment. I was thinking over lunch whether by chance that short outfeed is hinged or not to drop and allow access to the back edge of the bench.
    Its actually just resting on some angle supports attached to both the bench and the table saw. I can pull it out in case I need to open that gap up for whatever reason I want (fixing the connection to the table saw dust collection, support for jig saw cutting, drilling, etc).

Thanks for the feedback!

-Chris
    Last edited by Chris Bruno; 03-16-2010 at 2:05 PM.

That's one fine looking bench Chris...And an inspiration to me since I'm about to undertake construction of my shop centerpiece work/assembly/outfeed table.

You might consider Incra t-track, which is gold in color and would look a lot nicer with that wood than the blue stuff you're thinking of using.

Fantastic bench, I was looking at the floor cabinets in the background very nice as well. What type of wood did u use? What finish. I also like the black top. What did you use for that.

Thanks for showing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnson View Post
    Fantastic bench, I was looking at the floor cabinets in the background very nice as well. What type of wood did u use? What finish. I also like the black top. What did you use for that.

Thanks for showing.....
    Hi Rich, most everything you can see was made with that reclaimed oak I mentioned. The panels in the door are just oak ply, though. Those carcasses were made from BORG 'cabinet' grade ply. I wouldn't use it for 'real' stuff, but it's a great bargain for shop stuff.

The top on the other cabinets is 3/4" particle board that I installed a laminate top on (from the borg). I trimmed the edge with the vinyl edging that you can buy at rockler. It's nice because its clean and durable, and relatively easy/quick to install.

You can see more pics here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=129154

-Chris