Thread: Sears 13" Pro Planer

Thumbs down Sears 13" Pro Planer

I have the opportunity to buy a Sears Professional 13"planer new in box on cl for 185.00, I checked sears and it sells for $499.00. The guy says it was a gift that he never got around to unpacking. Should I go for it or not?
    Is it a decent planer?

Greg

Can you post a link to the model on sears web site. It would be nice to know what model. If it is the same model that ridgid and steel city sell it would be well worth it. But wont know for sure unless we can see it.

sounds like it may be a good deal. I believe my old delta shopmaster cost about $250.00 new and thats pretty low machine end just being a step abovet he Ryobi etc..
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Wood Magazine just did a run-down of the different bench top planers and it included this model you are looking at in their March '10 issue. You might want to take a look...

Long story short, the planer fared pretty well in their review and fits in the upper-middle end of the road. It received fairly high scores across all categories. Has depth stops and snipe was manageable.

It was bested by the Dewalts, the Makita, and one or two others. It fared better than comparable models by Grizzly, General, Ryobi and Ridgid.

If I had the opportunity and was looking for a bench top planer, I would pick this planer up for $185 in a heartbeat. May not be the absolute best, but should be more than serviceable.

That looks to be the same model as ridgid and steel city are selling. For $185 that is a good deal. I would buy it. Worst case you can resell on craigslist and get most if not all of your money back. According to sears they want $500 for that right now. It isn't worth that but surly worth $185.

What Paul said! You could probably pick it up for $185, use it for a couple of years, list it on CL for $235, let somebody beat you down to $185 and be out nothing. If you like it, and it performs the way you want it to, you're way ahead.

I have that very model from steel city. I would buy another for $185 in a heartbeat.
    Paul

$185 for a NIB 3 blade cutter head 13" planer? go for it. just be ready for the two downsides: 2.5" dust collection and it is noisy. i had a 21743 that was a 2 blade unit and it performed well, but the small dust collection connector was not as effective as a 4". but for that price, it is a very good deal. definately gloat worthy!

Go for it, it is well worth it.

Dennis