Thread: Another for your thoughts......

Another for your thoughts......

Just a glutton for punishment

Norfolk Pine and Koa with a nice shiney finish.

Aloha, Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peter, I like this one, as well, though I would probably like it better were the stem tapered more like the stem of the wine glasses - and, perhaps the base not as thick.

Very nice piece as is, however, and the workmanship is great! And, again, great finish.

Where ya gettin' all the NIP, ya wino? No, seriously, the two glass/wine holders you've shown us are really great - the concept, the turning, the wood and finish are all enviable - thanks for showing them!

I like the concept - not sure that the pine fits as well as if the entire piece had been turned out of Koa. Still - it's pretty cool!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

This one's OK, but I like the first one (bucket?) better. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Peter, I like this one, as well, though I would probably like it better were the stem tapered more like the stem of the wine glasses - and, perhaps the base not as thick.

Very nice piece as is, however, and the workmanship is great! And, again, great finish.
    John,

I was thinking of the stems to match the glasses and it's something I'm gonna try on the next set I make. I did a set of four right now.
    Below is one I made for champange glasses with the stem copying the taper of a champange flute.

The bases I went back and forth on being thin or thick. I tried one thin but the stability was not very good with the glasses on it. I guess I could make a thin base but larger diameter, just thought that would look odd being bigger than the top. Of course I could be wrong as my LOML tells me all the time.

Thanks for the input, it will help me refine the style.

Aloha, Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking piece Peter but still like the other better.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It looks good to me. I like norfolk pine a lot, and it looks good with the koa.

Pete, Great job and a beautiful finish!!!

I am not to keen on the hanger colors but the finish is outstanding. BTW how do you cut the stem ware slots? Do you use an indexer to position or just measure and drill?

"The best things in life are not things."

James,

The holes are a pain.
    When on the lathe I use a square to get center then turn it 90 deg and do the same. Drill holes and use a custom made cone with sandpaper on it to ream the hole. Still some hand sanding though.

Aloha, Pete

james bring up a really good point. I have 2 indexing lathes and wonder how hard it would be to index those holes. I have not used the index on either lathe yet but you keep showing this kind of stuff and i am gonna have to try it too...lol good work.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant