Thread: Replacement Knob Question

Replacement Knob Question

I have several planes which either do not have a knob or the knob is in very sad shape. Also, my firewood pile has some really nice looking spalted maple...

can I?

should I?

Now, spalted maple is definitely not "historically accurate", but that is not my concern as these are my working planes. Is it a bad idea to use this wood to turn a knob or 3? Of course, then the planes are likely to want new totes too.

Any gotchas to watch out for - other than trying to match the base and drilling pattern of an existing knob?

A few things to watch out for: spalt is a fungus & means the wood has started rotting. You need to make sure the wood is still sound enough to use for a tote. Also, spores in spalt can be toxic. Make sure you wear proper protection when working with it.
    If you have pieces that are sound enough, they should make beautiful knobs & totes. Post pics, if you do it.

Blog Entries
    Kirk,

Welcome to the Neander Cave.

My comment is go for it!

Do you have the mounting hardware?

If they are Stanley planes, the threads are a bit hard to match, 12-20.

Interesting what some call firewood others will use to make art.

I am constantly looking close at pieces of firewood while SWMBO is sitting inside shivering.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Amidon View Post
    I have several planes which either do not have a knob or the knob is in very sad shape. Also, my firewood pile has some really nice looking spalted maple...

can I?

should I?

Now, spalted maple is definitely not "historically accurate", but that is not my concern as these are my working planes. Is it a bad idea to use this wood to turn a knob or 3? Of course, then the planes are likely to want new totes too.
    Yes! Go for it, why not have your working/users exactly the way that you want them. Check this Wood Stabilizing Service out, looks like you could send them your spalted wood, and for a fair price, they would return you some nice stable and strong stock to work with. Never used their service myself... yet...
    Last edited by Dale Sautter; 03-16-2010 at 4:55 PM. Reason: missing bracket...

Also guilty of snatching pieces from the firewood pile and painting the ends so it can dry

This will be a "go" then. Neat. I do have the hardware for at least one plane needing a knob, and both planes in question have the hardware for the tote. Hopefully, I can get these turned this spring.

I was astounded at the firewood we received last fall, some of the oak was absolutely gorgeous, great rays and figure. Then when I split a piece of the maple - all spalted etc. There are definitely some pieces too valuable to burn!

LOL glad I am not alone in this...

If you end up doing the totes, Lee Valley had some very detailed instructions and plans. However, I cannot find them at the site. Does anyone remember the link?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Berenbrok View Post
    If you end up doing the totes, Lee Valley had some very detailed instructions and plans. However, I cannot find them at the site. Does anyone remember the link?

here ya go

http://www.leevalley.com/shopping/TechInfo.aspx?p=63263