Thread: Walnut Oil Finish

Walnut Oil Finish

I'm making an end-grain cutting board and I'm thinking about using walnut oil for the finish. I see that Woodcraft sells a 16 oz. bottle for $13.50. Is this any different from the walnut oil I can get at the grocery store for a lot less money?

Thanks.

Is walnut oil food safe? I've only ever used mineral oil on the cutting boards I've made.

Yes. If it's Mahoney's walnut oil product I believe it has been polymerized? (heated) so that it will dry. The walnut oil in the grocery store has never dried for me. I have a spalted holly bowl that I put store bought walnut oil on about six years ago. It still leaves oil rings on the table and you can feel the greasiness in the wood and it smells slightly rancid. I switched to Mahoney's product and have had very good results. I also mix it with bees wax to make a paste that I give to bowl recipients to refresh the finish. It also works great. I use it on my cutting boards too. Food safe also. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    The walnut oil in the grocery store has never dried for me.
    I have gotten grocery store walnut oil to dry but it can take a while. I haven't used it much but from what I remember it took a week or more between light coats. Walnut oil is a drying type oil. Just drys very slowly and if too much is put on it may go rancid before it drys.

That said Mahoney's walnut oil seem like great stuff, I have yet to try it though I do have a bottle I need to use.

And yes walnut oil is food safe, it is a food after all (the stuff in the grocery store is meant for use as a salad dressing oil). And I believe that Mahoney's is food safe as well. The only concern may be nut allergies.

I'm going with the Mahoney's.

Thanks all.