Thread: Old elec. motor value

Old elec. motor value

I have an older (ca. 1973) Westinghouse motor from a Sears air compressor. It is rated at 1.5 hp, and draws 22 amps at 110 volts (it is dual voltage, but lacks a wiring diagram). And the amp draw is correct -- it will trip a 20 amp breaker when it is under reasonably heavy load.

Is this worth anything? The amperage leads me to believe it is either under-rated (good) or inefficient (bad).

I have no use for it, so I would like to know whether I should sell or pitch.

Mike,
    Good old motors are what I am always looking for. They may not look pretty but hey I may not be the prettiest thing around either. Every once in a while I let the smoke out of one of mine or convert to 1 ph from 3 ph.
    I would like a shot at it before it get's dumped.
    Chad
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

I wouldn't toss it. Does it need a cleaning,or new bearings? I'm not an electrician,but I value older motors. Not that a 1970's motor is that old. It might be a bit heavier duty than a new one,and might have a varnish dipped armature,too.

Michael, that motor is on the heavy side of 1-1/2hp! 22A @ 110V equals 11A @ 220V. (closer to 2HP!) The motor should run fine on a 20A 220V circuit!

Depending on RPM (1725 or 3450) the motor would be a good find for someone wishing to add a heavier motor to a bandsaw or jointer! Don't pitch it. Worth at least $40 or $50 on CL!!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 03-17-2010 at 1:55 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael O'Sullivan View Post
    I have an older (ca. 1973) Westinghouse motor from a Sears air compressor. It is rated at 1.5 hp, and draws 22 amps at 110 volts (it is dual voltage, but lacks a wiring diagram). And the amp draw is correct -- it will trip a 20 amp breaker when it is under reasonably heavy load.

Is this worth anything? The amperage leads me to believe it is either under-rated (good) or inefficient (bad).

I have no use for it, so I would like to know whether I should sell or pitch.
    Michael, your second guess is probably correct, the motor probably has a low efficiency and low power factor.

It's not a bad thing for a home shop motor as the operating hours and load are low in home shop use so the energy consumption isn't a worry.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Michael, your second guess is probably correct, the motor probably has a low efficiency and low power factor.

It's not a bad thing for a home shop motor as the operating hours and load are low in home shop use so the energy consumption isn't a worry.

Regards, Rod.

The odd thing is that the 22 Amps @ 110v make it almost unusable in the normal home environment -- unless home wiring has shrunk dramatically in the past 35 yrs.

Take it to a motor shop and have them change the voltage to 220. let them check the bearings and windings. They will know in a heartbeat how much life it has left.
    fmr

Quote Originally Posted by Michael O'Sullivan View Post
    The odd thing is that the 22 Amps @ 110v make it almost unusable in the normal home environment -- unless home wiring has shrunk dramatically in the past 35 yrs.
    Yes, it's too large for a standard 120V branch circuit.

I always convert a motor that large to 240 volts.

Regards, Rod.