Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaker question

Breaker question

I have a 30amp breaker running my 220 outlet. I need a 35 amp or bigger. Not sure of they make a 35 in the brand thats in my box so maybe a 40 or 50. Will there be any issues i.e. wiring gauge by upping breaker amp? It will only be running one tool at a time. Currently I run a 3hp TS off of it or a 220 volt heater or a 5hp 20" planer. Nothing pops it.
    The sander I want to hook up to it runs onload at 30 amps and the conveyor I think 2 amps.

Thanks

You can't just roll out one breaker and replace it with one of a greater ampacity. The breaker exists for the sole purpose of protecting the wire from overload (melting, fire, etc).

We need to know your wire size going to the 220v receptacle.

+1 on what Aaron said - and what current does the sander pull normally? You don't need to size the breaker to match the inrush current.

If you increase the breaker size, you will allow more current to flow and heat up the wires. If the wires are not rated for the additional current, you can cause a fire when the wires get hot and melt the insulation.
    Last edited by Rick Prosser; 03-17-2010 at 1:09 PM. Reason: type and clarification

The math roughly works out to a 10hp motor. What is the thing, a 60" wide sander?

Its a G9983 grizzly sander. At max load it draws 30amps and the conveyor motor runs at 1.8amps.So 31.8 amps.
    Hope that helps with more info. I still have to check if wire gauge is 8 or 10 etc.

2 questions, 1) is this machine hard wired? 2) is NM cable used?

If yes to # 1 & no to # 2,the motor rules are different , and 10AWG is rated for 35A .This is allowed by NEC article 430 but if NM cable is used it's still limited to 30A by art. 334.80.
    BTW, a 35A circuit breaker is a "standard size" but will not be likey to be stocked & certainly not going to be stocked in a big box store.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    2 questions, 1) is this machine hard wired? 2) is NM cable used?

If yes to # 1 & no to # 2,the motor rules are different , and 10AWG is rated for 35A .This is allowed by NEC article 430 but if NM cable is used it's still limited to 30A by art. 334.80.
    BTW, a 35A circuit breaker is a "standard size" but will not be likey to be stocked & certainly not going to be stocked in a big box store.
    The machine is not hardwired.I know the current cord on it is #10 . I still havent had time to take break panel off yet to see what gauge wire is going to it. I will in the next 2 hours.

Not sure what NM cable is. I have done some wiring but I wont touch the panel without someone else here that knows whats what.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    The machine is not hardwired.I know the current cord on it is #10 . I still havent had time to take break panel off yet to see what gauge wire is going to it. I will in the next 2 hours.

Not sure what NM cable is. I have done some wiring but I wont touch the panel without someone else here that knows whats what.
    NM cable is commonly called by the brand name "Romex".

The gauge wire on the 30amp circuit currently is 10-3 NM-B. Will this hold a 35 or 40amp breaker?
    Last edited by Craig D Peltier; 03-18-2010 at 1:15 PM. Reason: more info

Not in my shop.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    The gauge wire on the 30amp circuit currently is 10-3 NM-B. Will this hold a 35 or 40amp breaker?
    Nope, NM cable is limited to the 60 degree ampacity, if THHN then the rules could allow it, if certain conditions are met, per article 430 10 AWG is rated at 35 amperes, but as said earlier with NM cable it is not going to be OK to do that, pull it out & run a larger cable, don't oversize it because then you open another can of worms with NEC article 250.122(B) requiring the grounding conductor to be increased in size if the ungrounded (hot) conductors are increased in size, #6 & 8 NM cables use a 10 AWG grounding conductor, so it won't comply if it's oversized.

#10 NM wire is rated at 30Amps, the breaker is ALWAYS sized to protect the wire NEVER to support the load.

Helpful or not, the fact is you can place any size breaker you like in your panel in your shop regardless of any advise or research that you wish to do but you will have to live with the potential consequences. If you oversize the breaker to be able to supply a higher downstream load, the wire overheats, causes a fire and your insurance company refuses to honor a claim this may start to give boundaries to these consequences. If there is injury or loss of life these boundaries expand.

I learned a long time ago that if someone is determined to do something they will regardless of facts, advise or rules. Hence you can do whatever you like but I will not oversize a breaker on a #10 NM or any other gauge wire in my shop. If anything I tend to oversize the wire for a given breaker size, #10 wire on 20A circuits.

If you want a 35, 40 or 50Amp breaker, increase the wire size or wire type to THHN in conduit for example.
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 03-30-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Nope, NM cable is limited to the 60 degree ampacity, if THHN then the rules could allow it, if certain conditions are met, per article 430 10 AWG is rated at 35 amperes, but as said earlier with NM cable it is not going to be OK to do that, pull it out & run a larger cable, don't oversize it because then you open another can of worms with NEC article 250.122(B) requiring the grounding conductor to be increased in size if the ungrounded (hot) conductors are increased in size, #6 & 8 NM cables use a 10 AWG grounding conductor, so it won't comply if it's oversized.
    So should I use and 8 gauge for this even if its NM. Thanks , obviously im green towards this compared to you.I will order a 35amp breaker for its place.I will rewire the old 10 gauge, its only about 3 feet just below the panel. I did the old one.

Craig,

If you are going to replace the cable with #8 NM-B, I believe that it is rated at 40Amps at 60C. A 40A Breaker is more common and should be easy to source at a big box store. The kicker may be the recepticle rated at 35A or 40A, you may have to go to a Range type Recepticle and Pigtail.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Click View Post
    Craig,

If you are going to replace the cable with #8 NM-B, I believe that it is rated at 40Amps at 60C. A 40A Breaker is more common and should be easy to source at a big box store. The kicker may be the recepticle rated at 35A or 40A, you may have to go to a Range type Recepticle and Pigtail.

gary

Thank you , that helps and made me think of the recepticle now