Thread: Looking for a source for hinges

Looking for a source for hinges

I'm looking for a source for brass plated 8" x 3/4" continuous (sp?) hinges for small treasure boxes for my grand-daughters. I've glotten them from Woodcraft but they more often than not are out when I need them. The closet Rockler to me is nothing short of a joke so that's not an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Heck, if you can't find it at Lee Valley, you probably don't need it. Have you ever checked out their hardware, or do you need a local source?

Blog Entries
    Another alternative if they are for surface mount and you want a stop position: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...241,41245&ap=1
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

check out this ebay store if you like. I have ordered several bags of hinges and pretty much like them. and price seems to be nice also.

WISEACRES ART
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Question: Why use a continuous (piano) hinge as opposed to regular butt hinges?

Just curious as to the reason.
    makers of fine reproduction brass & iron hardware

Horton Brasses will be hard to beat.I appreciate their quality when using them on my projects. You will definitely get what you pay for.
    Red Whale Woodworks.

In the past I have purchased long piano hinges from a hardware store and cut them to the needed length. It's a bit of a hassle but works fine if you take the time to make sure that the cut is square and cleaned up.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"