Thread: Tool handle... but not what your thinking.

Tool handle... but not what your thinking.

I had an accident about a year ago... I had a rather large board fall on my miter saw. This behemoth of a timber managed to brake the only part sears had discontinued. So I bought a new saw, went over shop safety again... stopped storing heavy lumber over my miter station, and tossed the old saw in the attic(a good tool nut throws nothing away until it's time). ..So I was in need of a job-site saw, remembered the broken one and sought out to make a new handle. It was no small feat first I tried to salvage the stud from the crap plastic handle, it wouldn't stay in the handle. So then I went and got an M10 1.25X100 bolt and made a handle around it. Now I can use the old saw again, I just need to dial it in and wax it and its better than new. I love it when a plan comes together. It's also neat to make something useful from time to time.

...oh almost forgot, the handle is made out of ash and Madagascar ebony just some scrap I had.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice save on the saw and really good looking handle.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice handle. Makes me want to drop a piece of lumber on the plastic handle on my Hitachi.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Greb View Post
    It's also neat to make something useful from time to time.
    Nice looking handle and I agree with your comment! Every once in a while I turn something that is functional - it's a good feeling!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Looks good to me, and it's certainly a heck of a lot nicer than the one you broke off of it.

Nice handle Brian. Your saw looks very much like mine. I love shops that have been added to by the craftsman.

Brian, this makes you one classy guy!! Not everyone has exotic wood handles on their saws!

This thread did make me consider my wood storage, some of which happens to be above my miter station - must be a common theme for woodworkers. Rather than move it, perhaps I will just wear a hardhat!

This idea is exactly what I need to do-- broke the handles on my 10 inch, now I will fix it. Thanks for the idea.
    Jerry

Really nice functional lathe work. That probably works better than the original and much classier. I have made a few functional items with my lathe - the most recent a steering knob for our backhoe.