Thread: Lathe recommendations - Mini Max T-124

Lathe recommendations - Mini Max T-124

To all,

I've been thinking about getting back into turning and therefore have begun the search for a suitable lathe. I've been looking at both the 14 and 16" lathes from Jet. A lightly used Mini Max T-124 has just become available in my area and the person selling is asking just under a grand for it. What is the general consensus regarding this lathe? From what I've read, Mini Max equipment is very highly regarded. Would it be a good lathe for a beginner? I realize it is also has duplicating capabilities and I doubt that I would use it for that purpose very often but does this feature detract anything from the usability of the lathe? Are there features offered on the Jet models that are not found on this lathe? Appears to be quite a bit larger (physically) than either of the Jet models.

Any help is appreciated.

Reid

i can only say that I have the VS model of the Jet mini; it is a very good machine, although more expensive than others of the same size. if you do get one, i would suggest mounting it on a bench, as the 'official' stand i have it on is not stable enough for my use.

Reid,
    Their website is a little lite on specs compared to other manufacturers. However, this appears to be a specialized copy lathe with only four manual speeds. It appears to be designed for turning chair legs, bed posts, balusters, etc.

Your posting was not specific as to what you want to turn, but I am assuming that if you are looking at the Jet 1442 and 1642, you plan to do some bowl turning. If so, the Mini Max may not be the best lathe.

I have had a Delta Midi, Jet Midi, Oneway 1640 and presently turn on a Jet 1642. The value and capability of the 1642 really work for me. Again, depends on your goals.

Phillip,

Yes - I do plan on turning some bowls but also table legs, etc. Why is it that you believe the Mini Max would not be the best for bowls - becuase it only has 4 speeds? The speed range is 570 to 2500. I realize the 1642 has variable speeds. It also appears that the headstock on Mini Max does not rotate - what are the implications of not being able to rotate the headstock? Sorry for all the questions, but as I said, I havn't turned anything in several years and would like to get a good versatile machine and a grand for this one seems like a good deal. The 1442 is over $1200 and the 1642 is over $1800.

Reid

Lathe recommendations

With a low speed of 570 dont plan to turn out of round or out of balance blanks. entirely too fast. a bargain isnt a bargain if you cant use it,imho. Max

Lathe recommendations

with a low speed of 570 it is entirely too fast to turn out of round or out of balance blanks. A bargain isnt a bargain if you cant use it, imho, Max

From what I can tell I would pass on it if you are wanting to do bowls. 570 rpm is way to fast for a out of round out of balance big chuck of wood. I passed on one here in my area. I would look at the Jet.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The T-124 has 16.5" swing. At 570 rpm, the peripheral speed is 27.99 Miles per Hour. It is still too fast even for a rounded & balanced bowl of that size.

Looking at the picture, the headstock end seems to be very bulky. It would be awkward to work near the head stock end. It also seems to have solid spindle; no way to attach a hand wheel, and expensive to attach vacuum chucking.
    This is a specialty production lathe for duplicating spindles. It is not for every turner.
    I would look into the Nova 1624. It has been occasionally discounted for around $900 with bonus.
    Adding the variable speed as explained here would give you a better value for an all-around lathe with modern design features.
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135734
    The T-124 is not a common lathe, I would worry about the availability & price of parts down the road.
    Gordon

Ok - thanks very much to your all! I very much appreciate everybody's advice and knowledgable insite. I will pass on the Mini Max lathe and keep my eyes open for one of the Jet models or a Nova.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Reid