Thread: Help with photos on glasses

Help with photos on glasses

I am new here and I have a small job that I need help with. I have some photos that my customer would like to have engraved on slightly curved wine glasses and a flat glass plate. They were color and I have changed them to gray scale. When I engrave them I get just a rectanglar frosted image.

I have an Epilog 12x24 Mini 75 watt machine and Corel x4.
    I am using the glass settings from the manual. (100sp/80p/600dpi)
    I don't know where to begin adjusting the photos in Corel.

Attached is my .cdr file and photos.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well for a start off Larry, I would suggest you try removing some of the excess on the photo, such as the background, just leaving the subject in the picture. The image needs to have a black background when you remove the excess. Then it needs to be inverted for it to show up on clear glass.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Also, I'd drop the image resolution to 150dpi- glass fractures into conical chips so your dots are bigger. One reason you're just getting a rectangle is that the dots are overlapping each other.

Greyscale won't do it- the images need to be dithered into black and white. What size are the final images going to be?

Finally, some wet paper or a thin layer of dishwashing soap over the glass helps, I'm told.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 03-19-2010 at 3:12 AM.

Search for "the gold method" and use that before engraving.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

photos are tough on glass esp at small sizes. Use scrap window glass for testing as this could take awhile

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Well it doesn't appear to be that important by his response. I just managed to view the attachment which I hadn't noticed. The images have been converted to black and white and very badly reduced in size, over contrasted, but other than that, nothing. These images need to be dithered to some degree and they also need to be negatives otherwise you'll just have the rectangular shape.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender