Thread: Help mounting the top on a small box

Help mounting the top on a small box

I have blundered into a situation I could use some help on.

I've made three small "treasure boxes" for the grand-daughters aporx 6X10" from 1/2" stock. The top is from 3/4" with a routed profile.

The problem is that I made the top 1/4" larger, so the top is 6 1/4 X 10 1/4. I don't know how to mount the top...

I would think, if I flush mounted the back of the hinge to the sides, the 1/4" overhang of the top would hit the side at 90 degress when open. Also, the hinge can't be morticed into the top, because of the over-hang, so it would have to be surface mounted to the top. And I'm not sure how that would look.

Obviously, I've never done this before. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA - Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Because of the diameter of the hinge barrel, the pivot point is moved past the box side and should give you about 105 deg of travel. And to get the top to lie flat, because the barrel is under the top, a deep mortise in the side is required. At any rate, my approach has been to mock-up iffy situations with scrap, before whacking my money wood.
    Barrel hinges, knife hinges and SOSS hinges come to mind, and you may want to research them. At any rate, good luck,
    Joe

I can think of some ways.

1. Cut the top so that the back does not overhang. You would still have the 1/4 inch overhang at the front and sides.

2. In the top, cut a mortise for the hinge plate, and a deeper one for the hinge barrel.

3. Use a no-mortise lid hinge like these: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...33&cat=3,41241.

4. Use a decorative hinge like these, mounted on the outside of the back and the top. With only 1/4 inch of overhang, you might have to bend the top plate to go around the edge.
    http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...241,41243&ap=1

5. Use a single piano hinge or a pair of regular hinges with plates that are deep enough that the screws can be put into the back and top while the barrel of the hinge is behind the edge of the top. (I don't know how to draw this for you.)

Just have the top lift off - no hinges

Blog Entries
    You can use these hinges and put a bevel on the back edge of the box and back edge of the top so the top will hinge open and stay open. I usually cut the angle at 47-48 degrees instead of 45 so the lid stays open better.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Outside with 3/8" overhang.
    BoxHinge3.jpg

Inside with mortise
    BoxHinge1.jpg
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Thanks to all who responded. I was fortunate to run across a box more or less the asame situation as the one I'm in. I think Tony has the picture of what will get me back on track.

Thankx again... Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.