Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ClearVue - Poor Customer Service

ClearVue - Poor Customer Service

I've read quite a few threads regarding ClearVue and they've recieved really good feedback on customer service, unfortunately I've been on the other side of this.

I recently purchased the mini-cyclone that fits on top of a shopvac, and within a couple weeks the PVC housing started to crack at a joint. Not a big crack, but it doesn't take much to cause an efficiency drop.

I sent a picture to Ed and asked if I could get it replaced. His response

Peter,
    That is just a surface crack and should pose no problem as to the efficiency of the unit. You can run a little caulk in the crack if you want to. We machine a "V" in the plastic within about 1/32" of the surface. We then heat and bend the sheet and the seam is glued solid. What you are seeing it just a crack in the skin.

Regards,

Ed

Personally, I think the picture shows that it is more than a surface crack, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I responded that it was clearly a crack all the way throught the housing and that there was a lot of dust on the filter. His response:

Peter,
    If the "V" under the skin isn't glued, you can put some caulk on it and that will take care of it. As to getting a replacement, you would have to ship it back to us and pay for the shipping. Also, you will be responsible for any shipping damage to that unit. I don't recommend doing that but if you want a replacement, that's what you'll have to do. If it arrives here damaged then you will have to deal with the shipper to get it paid for....I will not be responsible for shipping damage on the return trip.

Regards,

Ed

I could fix the crack myself of course (probably easier than boxing it up), but I don't think it's my responsibility. What bothers me more than anything is that there is no effort to help, or even an apology for the issue. All he did was deny the issue and responsibility. This isn't just a case of bad service, but bad attitude as well. Since others have had good luck with ClearVue, I hope that this is an isolated issue. I know it will be for me as there won't be any repeat business
    Torre

A lack of thoughtfulness is different than a lack of intelligence, but often has the same net result

An easy way to determine whether it is a real crack or not is to take the unit off and add some fluid. See if it leaks.

It's real

I can slide a piece of paper through it.

My problem wasn't that it is a real crack. It's that Ed was less than helpful
    Torre

A lack of thoughtfulness is different than a lack of intelligence, but often has the same net result

I won't be buying from them if that's what you get. People who treat customers bad to save a buck end up losing many more bucks.

That doesn't sound like Ed. I bought a CV1800 NIB from a WN'er. Ended up the motor had shipping damage. Ed helped me out w/ troubleshooting on a Friday night through Saturday and even sent me the parts I needed to fix it for free.

Maybe try to call him again.

Mike

This is totally out of character to all the dealings I've had with them, and all I've heard from others. I'm really perplexed. Try calling him. He really is a great guy. Now I do understand that he isn't making that unit anymore as the demand for it wasn't what it needed to be to be viable to have it in their line up. UPS would insure it going back. It's normal that the shipper deals with any damage, so that's a non issue. Tell him about being able to slip paper through the crack. What is the possibility that this damage was caused by the shipper to you and it just wasn't visible at first? Maybe there is something that could be done from that angle.
    I hope you just caught him at a bad time. My guess is that even if you don't call him, he will contact you to get this straightened out. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I'm having trouble understanding your harshness towards ClearVue.

Ed is thinking you could fix the problem with < 1 minute of work (and he is correct). On the other hand you are asking him to exchange the unit which will take many more minutes than one. Not to mention the expenditure of money to ship it both ways, and opening both of you up to putting this thing back in the hands of UPS, which isn't exactly kind to things. So in that respect I understand what Ed is saying - fix it yourself in one minute and let's not take an unnecessary risk to get you back to a working product.

Since Ed is a small manufacturer, he handles each case individually. That is generally a strength as you always get a response that takes into account all reasonable facts. In your case, I think you are expecting a large manufacturer who just happily ships things back and forth until the customer is happy simply because that is "company policy". Of course "company policy" also results in less than stellar support at many times.

I'm sure Ed will exchange your unit if you are set on having a new one. But I understand his not wanting to accept responsibility for your packaging as UPS can destroy anything.

I dunno..

I just reread his response and it seemed like shipping it back for replacement was an option, under the conditions that you deal with any shipping damage with the carrier. Looks like he recommends caulking it, but if you really wanted to return it, you could (paying for shipping, dealing with UPS if damaged).

I emailed Ed a few times when I was deciding on what to buy. He seems like a good guy. Kind of brief at times, but he's probably the type that would rather be in the shop than spending a lot of time composing emails.

I've had some dealings with Ed, and came away extremely pleased with the experience. Looks to me like there could be a warrantee situation here. Don't know what the applicable terms, laws, factors, etc. might be in this case, but from the outside, looking in, Ed might could have handled it a little better.

I know what I would do in this situation, and that's take the practical approach; run a bead of silicon caulk along the crack and get on with making sawdust.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Reece View Post
    I'm sure Ed will exchange your unit if you are set on having a new one. But I understand his not wanting to accept responsibility for your packaging as UPS can destroy anything.
    why does it matter if UPS damages the cracked cyclone on the way back to ed? I can understand him not paying for the shipping back, but the whole damage liability thing seems odd... its damaged already, can't re-sell it. Melt it down and start over.

I'm not big on "fixing" anything I just bought no matter what amount of time it takes to do it.

Furthermore, if it arrives in pieces how would they know when it happened and by whom? The OP delivered pictures with his first e-mail, if I understand correcly, and that would be enought to have a new unit shipped asap and request the damaged one be placed in the box and returned at our C-vs expence. No further question need be asked.

I personaly would want the damaged one back to see if the damage may be a manufacturing defect that may be seen in the larger unit thay I considered my main stay.

Of course this is just me.. I'm sure opinions will vary.... Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

all my clearvue dealings were good

dealt with Ed on the phone a number of times - have both a mini-cyclone on my shop vac and a CV1800 for the big tools. always liked dealing with him.

here is my take on your situation. clearvue is not like most tool purchases - it is more like the vacuum pump kit from joe woodworker - you get specialty parts and instructions - you are on your own for the rest. it is assumed you are going to assemble it yourself, you have to build things, get stock parts from the BORG, put it together, etc.

i got one of the 1st mini-cyclones they made and at the time you had to do a lot more to get it up and running - mount it on your dust collector lid, seal it up, rig a air-tight closure mechanism, etc etc. I think the assumption is this product is going to folks who are inclined to build/fix stuff. When I got my CV1800 the ramp had slipped out of position before the adhesive set - i COULD have made Ed have mine shipped back and a new one sent out. I just put some clear silicone on the ramp edge - muscled it back to an even slope and left it alone for a day - it has worked flawlessly since.

I think the disconnect between you 2 is that you expect things to be like buying from Felder and Ed thinks he is selling leggo blocks and expects you to just make it work. No offense intended but i tend to side more with Ed on this one - it's a tool - looks are not important - squirt 10 cents of caulk on it and let it slide. If it cracks to the point of impacting performance then that's another thing entirely but that was not the impression I got from the post.

My dealings with Ed have all been 100% positive. He was e-mailing me back and forth into the wee hours of the morning once, and he didn't hesitate to ship out a new cyclone when mine arrived damaged. This is not at all in character for him. Without knowing the whole story, it's tough to pass judgement, but if this is really all there is to it, I understand why you're a little upset.

If it were me, I would probably e-mail him again, and try to work it out. This is really completely out of character for him.

Ed is a good guy. Maybe there's more to the story we're not aware of. A bottle of caulk is $2. Have you asked if he'll reimburse you for a tube of it?

I agree with the OP and Ken. If he had wanted a cracked unit that needs repair he could buy used. I think they should replace the thing and pay for all the shipping.

I would just ask him why he is treating this transaction so differently than anything you have ever heard of. Let him know that he has a rep for being a standup guy and that this seems way out of character for him.

I would just send it back and demand my money back.