Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Knauft View Post
    Mike,

You might want to check out the following link. He has an interesting modification to the Wet/Dry grinder you're looking at.

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl.../RayLanham.htm

-Jon
    Wow thanks for the link.

Do you really need a state of the art grinder that kills electrons?

Hand cranked grinders pop up almost daily on eBay. A little patience in watching will result in finding a good one, maybe even one with a useful wheel. Even is you have to replace the wheel, they are smaller and less costly. Since they operate at less than 3 million rpm, there's no balance problems and no burning problems. You also have control that's hard to achieve when the whirring thing whirs too fast. Oooops, dang!

My $10 grinder works great and saved me a huge lot of money to use for other projects.

After all, this is Neander Haven ... no tailed demons here.
    Last edited by Bob Easton; 03-21-2010 at 7:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler mckee View Post
    About twice as much, but does anyone have this one from grizzly? But i would much pay a little more for something that will work better and actually last.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/T10097
    I have the HF equivalent.

My beef with my HF is that the bar that the tool fixtures slide on isn't square to the wheel, so things tend to get skewed. I futzed with it a bit but gave up and bought the Jet fixed tool rest. This is a flat plate that you fix to the rod, essentially providing a traditional tool rest. I set the angle, then just manually move the blade across the wheel. It works fairly well.

It does ship a LOT of water if the blade is wider than the wheel. So I put it in a large tin pan that they sell for cooking turkeys. Cheap, and it catches all the water.

The other gripe was that the wheel had a lot of runnout when I brought it home; I ended up buying the Tormek diamond dressing tool. Once I got it squared up, it has worked pretty well.

I don't think I'd buy it again; by the time you add up the expense for the fixed tool rest and diamond dresser, it was pretty pricey.

A dry grinder with a decent tool rest seems like a better way to go; I'm getting that set up now so can't comment. Fortunately, I have some cheap chisels to practice on!

-TH

If you're going to scary sharp...

Mike, if you're going to scary sharpen then why not just grind your initial bevels that way too? If you are already using a jig then you will be amazed at how fast a piece of 120 grit paper will prepare an edge.

Here's what I do: I tape two 3" wide pieces of 120 grit end to end with scotch tape, which is very thin. Then I clip the strip to a piece of thin masonite or whatever's handy, smooth, and flattish. Put the blade in the jig, and if you only push away from the clip you don't even have to glue the paper down. One strip of paper will do several blades.

I can regrind a bevel like this in less time than I can eyeball a grinder rest into position, fill a container with water, put on a face mask, dress the wheel, and slowly slowly grind.

I venture to say that no matter how cheap, conventional electric grinders are a waste of money for woodworkers. For lathe tools etc I use the 1" belt sander from Lee Valley. It's really the bees knees.

PLEASE READ THIS!!! If you buy ANY wet wheel,variable speed grinder,especially like the Jet,you may have a problem with the grinder suddenly stopping running. I had that happen.

After listening to the repair person at Jet tell me how proud they were of their products,I got a new printed circuit board for it. it had press on wire connectors that are as thin as an aluminum beer can,REALLY TRUE!!! I found out that the real problem was a cracked connector. I just soldered it,and all was well.

I had several dealers tell me about these grinders breaking down,or just not working right out of the box. Maybe after Jet has enough of their grinders sent back,they will improve their fine product. This little crack can be hard to see,though. They might just be putting in a whole new circuit board(with potentially the same problem connectors!!)

If you check out your broken grinder,this advice can be very beneficial. I cannot see how they manage to even assemble these incredibly flimsy circuit board connecters.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-22-2010 at 10:50 PM.

If you want a "BIC Lighter" tool (ie Use it up - throw it away) by all means, go with a HF brand.

Personal preference - go dry - wet is messy no matter what you do. You'll still need a small container to dip the tools into - but once you get them sharp - you'll only be touching up the edge - which only takes seconds anyway (no cooling required).

NO matter what brand you get (unless you spend some really big money) - the tool rests will probably be less than adequate - so right off the bat - you'll be spending some money (~ $50) for a decent tool rest (personal preference - Veritas or One-Way)

I sharpen chisels, carving and turning tools on a 6" Craftsman Bench Grinder (made by Delta/Orion at the time I bought it).

Where you really spend the $$ (as others have said) is in decent grinding wheels AND in balancing kits for the wheels (almost nobody thinks about balancing). If you don't balance the wheels - you will have vibration that makes getting a consistent fine edge difficult.

I use wheels and balancing kits from One-Way (they make the Wolverine jig, which I also use). There are some demo videos on their site that are well worth a look.

BTW - with the stock wheels, my grinder would stop spinning maybe 5-10 seconds after turning off the power - and ther was noticeable vibration when running. With balanced wheels - it spins for 45-60 seconds and almost no vibration. Balancing makes all the difference in the world.

I probably got my grinder ON SALE + Craftsman Club Discount for $40 bucks or so. I probably spent 3 times that on wheels and balancing kits.
    Last edited by Brian Dormer; 04-04-2010 at 1:09 PM.

I had all kinds of gadgets before settling on just an 8" grinder at 1725 RPM. With a 40 grit Norton 3X blue wheel, it's pretty quick. It will burn the edge if you let it but more difficult than the black oxide. The wet/dry machines are messy. I much rather clamp a DC hose below the grinding wheel than dealing with splashing/running water in my shop.

I can't speak to the Horrible Fright grinders, but you should know that wet grinders, though they're truly fine at not scorching the steel and will leave a lovely, polished grind, are slow. This is not necessarily bad - just be aware of it.

Do NOT buy anything electrical from Horrible Fright without running and observing the particular tool you'll be buying. I bought a generic bench grinder from them years ago, and it vibrated so much that it was unusable - if I turned it on when it wasn't bolted down, it was ready to walk to Kansas, if I just gave it enough cord; and I couldn't hold the tools on the chintzy little rests, it shook so much. Made an old Harley or Triumph motorcycle at idle look positively stationary.

Grinder

I agree with Josh. The wet-wheel slow grinders [Tormek, Jet] are best from a long-term cost perspective. You can't burn the tool.

You could consider turning a replacement grindstone from these makers with your own mechanism but I doubt you would be much money ahead.

Before I went wet-wheel I used a belt sander clamped upside down in a vise . It works quite well with ordinary sandpaper. A trizact belt or two in the finest grits would produce awesome results.

I have been using trizact disks to flatten chisel backs and I am very impressed.