Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spindle sander?????

Spindle sander?????

I am looking at getting a oscillating spindle sander, I have grown sick of using a drill/drill press with a drum in it. So here is the pregnant question which sander do I get?

1. HF bench top spindle sander for 79.99.

2. Triton bench top sander form wood craft.

3. Ridgid spindle/edge sander (199.00)

4. Delta SA350K (249.00)

so which one would be best? I'm tight on space and cash so I want to keep it cheap and small. I just don't want to regret my purchase later. The delta is the top end of my current budget, so if I missed a machine that is under that threshold that is superior let me know.

Which Spindle Sander?

IMO, the Ridgid spindle/edge sander by far!
    It does spindle sanding as best as the rest, and edge sanding well.

I second the Ridgid Sander. I purchased it thinking it would be an ok purchase to get me by and it is one of the most used tools in the shop. I love the feature of the edge sander.

Nine years ago I needed a spindle sander as I make a lot of templates for arches even though I final finish them with a over-head bearing bit on the router table. I didn't want to spend much at the time so on a whim I dropped by HD and picked up a $99 Ryobi on a gamble thinking I would up-grade to an industrial Jet in a year or so.

Well.. tons of work across that sander and haven't found a need to up-grade at this point. I frankly wouldn't trade it even for the Delta. I have used the Ridgid and it's good.. can't comment on the HF or Triton which surprisingly enough looks like my Ryobi in another color?

So.. if you don't depend on a spindle sander daily I would sink a lot of money into one as prices can be decieving on what they can do IMO.

Good luck...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

The HF spindle sander is a very good sander for the money. It is a spindle sander only, not an edge sander. I've had mine for two years and it has handled everything I've asked it to do. No regrets for having bought it.

When I was researching for my purchase the only difference that I found between the HF and the Triton is the color scheme and the price. Other than that, they seem to be identical.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Blog Entries
    I bought the Ridgid as so many folks here have liked it. I am very glad I did because I learned that I use the belt much more than the spindle and would never have known that. It has been a great little machine for the money and I would recommend it. I believe like myself and others, you may find the spindle great to have but, the belt is quite useful.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would recommend either the Jet or General spindle sanders. They are slightly more expensive than those on your list, but they are very substantial machines.

Another Ridgid buyer and I love the thing.....

I use it all the time, it is one of the tools in the shop that I would really hate to give up.

I use the belt and a V-27 Incra miter gauge to sneak up on 45 degree miter cuts. The table will tilt at a 45 degree angle so you can work on wide miters also.

Ridgid here too.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

+5 or 6 on the Ridgid. I have it on my flip table with the planer on the other side.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I don’t think the Ridgid was out when I bought my Delta but I have been happy with it. It has good power and great dust collection when hooked up to a shop vac. A lot of people always seem to be very pleased with the Ridgid so you should definitely give it a hard look. Personally, I don’t buy anything from HF that has a tail..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

+7 or +8 on the Ridgid.

I bought a selection of various grit belts and "rolls," too, lending even more versatility to the already excellent machine.

$200 ... with free shipping? I'd do it again ... in the blink of an eye.

I don't have much floor / benchtop space so I use a PC 121 "hand held" OSS attached to a router table plate for spindle sanding. Pricey for what you get but does solve the floor space problem for me. Attaching to router plate allows me to use existing router dust collection, too. I use the Bench Dog table saw wing router system.

Whatever you do don't put the ridgid in the back of your truck and forget to close the tailgate, it held up very well, only broke a small plastic guide for the edge sander and bent the shaft. Mine still works but i can't the vibration out of it, need to bite the bullet and get a new one. It's a great tool, mine has the belt on it 98% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I bought the Ridgid as so many folks here have liked it. I am very glad I did because I learned that I use the belt much more than the spindle and would never have known that. It has been a great little machine for the money and I would recommend it. I believe like myself and others, you may find the spindle great to have but, the belt is quite useful.
    +1 on Glens comments. I bought the ridgid about 3 years ago and have worn out numerous belts of different grits but I am still on the same spindles. I use the belt 95% of the time. It is the perfect size, well I wish it was 2" taller, but length wise. The rounded ends in different sizes is the key to the belt. It allows you to sand most inside and out side curves with out changing the belt. Refurbished units can be had for under $150 often.